PDA

View Full Version : red things on my mushroom

nissin93
07/26/2004, 09:24 PM
I bought a mushroom about 1 month ago and about 2 weeks ago I noticed these red circle things on it. They move around on it and I have seen them on the glass too. Unfortunately I do not have a camera to take pics yet but hopefully very soon I will. I was just woundering if anyone has a clue of what they are and if anyone has any ideas of where I can look to research more on them. Thanks All!!!

rshimek
07/27/2004, 10:11 AM
Hi,

They are likely flatworms of one sort or another. You might wish to do a search in this forum (the search button is in the logo at the top of the page) on "red planaria" or "Convolutriloba" and see if your creatures match the description. If they do, read further and see the kinds of problems you will have trying to eradicate them. If they don't... I await an image. :D

nissin93
07/27/2004, 11:28 AM
Thanks, I will try to get a pic of them soon.

nissin93
07/28/2004, 07:29 PM
So I went into my lfs today and theyhad those red things on the glass on there tanks too. They guys there told me that they are baby snails of some sort. I atleast feel better knowing that it's nothing harmful to my tank. Thought I would let you know my findings. Thanks for your help!

rshimek
07/31/2004, 09:43 AM
Hi,

Uh... no. We have relatively few snails that reproduce in tanks, and almost without exception they are not read. Snails are easy to tell. 1) They look like snails. 2) They have a shell (so pick one up; if you can feel the shell it is a snail.

Check them out and see if you do have "baby" snails. :D

jdsabin1
07/31/2004, 10:04 AM
Originally posted by nissin93
So I went into my lfs today and theyhad those red things on the glass on there tanks too. They guys there told me that they are baby snails of some sort. I atleast feel better knowing that it's nothing harmful to my tank. Thought I would let you know my findings. Thanks for your help! LOL! Good ol' LFS has flatworms and tells their customers it's snails.

Unbelievable.

nissin93
07/31/2004, 04:16 PM
Ok, so my lfs is no good. What can I do! What do you all think I should do to get rid of this problem of mine. I can't pick these flatworms off my mushroom. Is there anything out there that I can use to get rid of them. Will they hurt anything in my tank? I'm at a stand still. Please give me your advice. Thanks!