PDA

View Full Version : New Cell: Samsung SCH-a650 or Nokia 3589i

dcoufal
07/24/2004, 12:05 PM
My wife and I plan on switching from AT&T Wireless to Verizon sometime within the next week.... I can't decide which phone to get. We've narrowed it down to:

Samsung SCH-a650 (flip-style) - 2/$19.95
or
Nokia 3589i (non-flip) - $29.95/each

Verizon offers a limited number of tri-mode phones and I've heard (and read) an overwhelming number of bad reviews about LG phones.

Anyone have one of the above that cares to comment on them?

Thanks!

pnosko
07/24/2004, 01:50 PM
I started a similar thread a while back when I left Verizon. I do miss the coverage, but they didn't deserve my business they way they treated me when it came time to renew my plan.

I looked at a lot of phones. I ended up going with a Nokia 6600 and T-Mobile. But I bought the phone direct from Nokia and saved a bundle (two for $298 instead of one for $299 in the store).

dcoufal
07/24/2004, 01:58 PM
Originally posted by pnosko
... but they didn't deserve my business they way they treated me when it came time to renew my plan....

Well, AT&T sold out to Cingular. But, when you call and ask about it they try to deny it until you push them on the issue. They won't say what's going to change as far as plans/billing/service/etc. I've heard a lot of complaints about Cingular service in this area and more positives then negatives about Verizon; so, it's time for a change. ;)

I've been with AT&T for about 10 years and all they seemed to ever want was to get me to keep signing additional 2-year agreements - with offers of $30 credits to my account or phones that other providers were offering for free with a new service agreement.... Tacky.

I like Verizon's 14 day satisfaction guarantee & the 2-year phone upgrade or $100/off new phone programs. Much better deal than AT&T ever offered.

Oh, well... anyone else have opinions about the SCH-a650 or Nokia 3589i?

pnosko
07/24/2004, 02:52 PM
What VZW doesn't emphasize (it's in the fine print) is that any change to your plan restarts the "two year" contract, so if you increase to a higher-minute plan 15 months into your 24-month contract (like I did), it basically starts over and you're committed for another two years.

VZW has one claim to fame; the best network coverage hands-down. But this made them cocky IMHO and their service when it came time to upgrade was beyond absurd; certain phones available only on the Internet; others only to new customers; restrictions on phones you can upgrade to based on the previous purchase; different deals in the stores vs. the Internet; I got dizzy and finally ****ed and walked away from them. T-Mobile's coverage is acceptable, but not as good as was VZW's. But my T-Mobil plan, comparing on "effective" minutes and features is $99 compared to $250, so I'm happy I switched. FWIW, I left AT&T for VZW because of coverage problems.