PDA

View Full Version : Copper debate II

rks1789
07/23/2004, 10:48 PM
I posted this question over in the newbie area:

Copper Debate I (http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=3214281#post3214281)

reverai suggested I cross post over here to find out what the PH of a solution must be for copper to be unbonded and be "lifted" out of a tank.

I have the luxory of not having anything living in the tank at the moment. I would like to clean everything if possible, if the rocks are not possible to save I am more than happy to give/sell/trade them to someone with a fish only tank.

Thanks!

rks1789
07/24/2004, 12:19 AM
Research is always good.

I'm new to the boards so please excuse my ignorance. After 1-2 hours of more research in the chemistry portion of the board (my brief experience has only taken me to the newbie and DIY sections...) I have more answers.

A bath in muriatic acid and then bleach, and then a de-chlorinator (and probably a few washings with RO/DI water...) SHOULD clean out any cuprimine(Copper).

The "safest" solution is to replace the tank, and everything that came with it. I think that the pump being plastic (not sure about the impeller...) should be ok after a washing (vinegar?) The heater will probably be easy to clean thouroughly by the above method.

The sand and rocks will probably go. I might save the rocks for the QT tank, the other components are overkill for that application :)

The major reason that I am leaning towards replacing the tank,
1. It will be cheaper to replace the tank and be sure everything is safe, than to not clean enough and miss a pocket of copper that could kill 1 fairly expensive coral...
2. Quite a few people said "I will wash with x and then y and then z"...but no posts were made after that to follow up. If anyone knows someone who sucessfully did this please post a link.

Thanks again, and since my first born is on the cusp of arriving it's going to be a while before I can get to the tank...so I have time to research/learn :)

Rich

Hobster
07/24/2004, 10:01 AM
If I read your other post correctly, your tank is a 55g? If that is correct, a brand new tank around here sells for $88.00. (with glass top and cheapo light) So is it worth the time, trouble and worry to scrub and clean with acid and bleach and still not be sure you got all the Cu out? JMO:)

rshimek
07/24/2004, 12:57 PM
Originally posted by rks1789

Hi Rich,

A bath in muriatic acid and then bleach, and then a de-chlorinator (and probably a few washings with RO/DI water...) SHOULD clean out any cuprimine(Copper).

Yes.

The "safest" solution is to replace the tank, and everything that came with it.

Definitely. The dechlorination process uses dangerous materials, and mixing muriatic acid and bleach liberates chlorine gas, this will, at least, cause permanent respiratory damage and can kill you.

I think that the pump being plastic (not sure about the impeller...) should be ok after a washing (vinegar?) The heater will probably be easy to clean thouroughly by the above method.

Clean both using the muriatic/bleach method.

The sand and rocks will probably go. I might save the rocks for the QT tank, the other components are overkill for that application :)

I would pitch 'em all.

If anyone knows someone who sucessfully did this please post a link.

Do a search on "copper decontamination" in this forum, you should find several such threads. For several years, I directed a bioassay laboratory for a large consuting firm, and this was the way in which we deconned all of our tanks between tests. It works.