PDA

View Full Version : OT - question about real estate...

snowroach
07/23/2004, 07:26 PM
Hi everyone,
This is off topic but I was wondering who here is in real estate? The reason I ask is I'm thinking about a career in it and want to get peoples opinions about the job etc. Also if anyone knows of good places to take the class for the license that would be great too.

Thanks!

blorkiemom
07/25/2004, 06:31 PM
Chris, I'm not in real estate, but my husband dabbled in some classes at ARC--I think you can get ready for the license at any local CC for cheap. Hubby works in the new home industry, and for his agents it can be real feast or famine--in a hot development, agents can make $100K+ a year--at the end of a development or during a slump they can work for base for months. It's a demanding job, but those who love it, love it! Good luck.

snowroach
07/25/2004, 11:27 PM
Thanks for the info!!!

BBishop
07/27/2004, 12:26 AM
Chris,
I got my license, it was easy and only took a couple of months. I got all the materials through Allied Schools on the web, it's an online course and took my state certification test down in Sacramento.
I have to admit, I thought that real estate would be an easy business to make a lot of money, for some it is, for me it wasn't. I gave it a year and threw in the towel. Brokers will always encourage you because they are the one's who make all of the money. Don't ever feel any loyality to them, always do what is best for you. And check around before you settle down with one.
It realy is a feast or fammine business, at one point I had seven homes in escrow and was dancing on the clouds, then they started to fall out one by one until there were none. It's a lot of work to get your butt handed to you, and the better you are the less time you have to yourself and the less you will see of your family.
The good side is, it doesn't take any more effort to sell expensive homes than it does to sell the cheap ones. You meet a lot of nice people (and some that aren't) and get to see a lot of beautiful homes.
For me, it wasn't worth the stress. I'll never get rich doing what I'm doing now, but it sure is nice to have a steady pay check.
LOL

snowroach
07/27/2004, 12:32 AM
good info to keep in mind. Thanks BBiship