PDA

View Full Version : question on montipora growth patterns

Putawaywet
07/23/2004, 01:27 AM
About 9 mo's ago I picked up a montipora (the kind most commonly sold as m.capricornis) that came in shaped like a deep spiraling vase or funnel. It appeared to do well for several months, but then suddenly developed some cyano in the deepest recesses of the funnel and then completely bleached over the span of a few days.

However, I inadvertantly broke off a thumbnail-sized piece that I subsequently epoxied to a section of rock adjacent to the parent colony and that peice has been thriving like crazy (approx 8" in diameter now) ever since. The only difference is the frag has taken on a very horizontal growth pattern with multiple parallel plates branching out perpindicular to the direction of the water flow

Now fast forward to a few weeks ago when I aquired another (orange) montipora in a similar growth shape as the first. And I'm suddenly finding myself wondering if it would be prudent to let it be as is, or go ahead and frag it into several pieces spread to various locations of the tank.

Can anyone offer some insight into what environmental conditions encourage the deep spiraling growth of these corals? And given the scenario that occured with the first one does it seem prudent to leave the 2nd as is, or frag it and see if it will take hold like it did the first time around?

Many thanks

Brett

MiddletonMark
07/23/2004, 05:36 AM
I've found that frags mounted flat seem to `flatten' and spread real wide like you talk with the frag you mounted.

At an angle, or in heavy flow ... mine turn into the vase-like shape.

From my limited experience ... mounting them more vertically will encourage swirling, as will flow.

I reserve the right to be totally wrong, though :D

EricHugo
07/24/2004, 09:19 AM
I agree Mark. Water flow seems to be the primary determinant of water flow in many of these foliose to turbinate species. Also size...small fragments do't immediately take on a turbinate form, but may do so over time.