PDA

View Full Version : High temperature

codename:47
07/22/2004, 09:06 PM
Hi,

I read once that your ideal temperature range for a marine tank is 68 to 84, 86 being deadly. Maybe i misread, but could a reef population really do well at 84? Doesnt it going to push their (some) metabolism to fast ?

Thanks
Marcus

07/23/2004, 10:05 AM
Anyone??

MiddletonMark
07/23/2004, 10:18 AM
Yes, it pushes their metabolism faster ... I've found higher temps appear to speed algal growth too a bit.

There's a lot of opinion on this - also may vary on what you're keeping, what equipment you have [I'd run consistently higher if I had a chiller ... but instead mine just hits those high temps now and then].

Anyway - I'd do some searches. Lots of opinion, many good points ... and ultimately your decision.

I tend not to believe personally that there is `one way' that is best.

07/23/2004, 01:22 PM
Yes i knew about this "debate", and i always kept mine at 77-78. But i was discussing temp. range on another forum, and then remember Eric's range, and since i like his articles, i taugh that he could maybe give me his point of view on high temp...

Thanks anyway MiddletonMark
Marcus

MiddletonMark
07/23/2004, 01:30 PM
There have been some good discussions - I'd search on it.

I gather this is Eric's busy time of year for getting stuff done - plus a number of travelling things ... keep an eye on the forum + bring it up again.

But I do recall a good multi-page thread on this subject maybe in March?

I'll try to remember to search for it this weekend.

EricHugo
07/24/2004, 09:11 AM
I have discussed temperature many times - I think a search in this forum would bring up all the appropriate information. I agree with Mark's comments, and in a nutshell have no problems with 78 or 84. Personally, I think one is a little high in terms of nearing some thermal limits, and the other a little low but not terribly so.

MiddletonMark
07/24/2004, 09:22 AM
Here's at least one thread I remember:

Temperature thread from this spring (http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=328333)

Recent experience with me suggests if your tank is acclimated to higher temps, it will do better with scary spikes.
This spring I didn't A/C much, so the tank ran in the 81-83 range.

Went to IMAC in Chicago in June, weather folks said in the 70's here so I left the house open with good ventilation. On Sunday when we drove back, it was near 90 ... walked in to read my digital temperature [? accurate ?] at 86.1 :eek1:

Things made it fine, no problems/losses - was suprised to be honest, and happy that things had been running warm. Scared the crap out of me, I won't trust a weatherman again when it comes to my tank.

07/24/2004, 08:07 PM
Thanks for the link Mark ,

But if you want a real horror story, try Quebec's January '98 icestorm....10 days without electricity, spend 2 days trying to buy a then, very rare and extremely expensive generator for my tank...i finally find one, but still, you can imagine the damage...

MiddletonMark
07/24/2004, 09:02 PM
Yup ... just gets you planning ahead. Cheap investment when compared to the rest of our reef + inhabitants.