PDA

View Full Version : reattaching a toadstool coral

rx2006je
07/22/2004, 08:39 PM
i recently got a toadstool coral and had a place that i wanted to place it in my tank. it came already attached to a piece of rubble or something that is too big for the area that i wanted to put it. i have had good luck with cutting away rock that coral like that come attached to and fixing to where i want it with epoxy. this time though the rock broke just beside the base of the toadstool, and some was left without any thing attached to it. i fixed the toadstool and the rock to my existing live rock with epoxy, and the base that was not attached was resting on the rock with hopes of attaching. the next day the toadstool was falling over and eventually came loose. what is the best way to go about reattaching the toadstool to rock, and how long should that take.:eek1:

Navyblue
07/23/2004, 04:01 AM
IME, if a leather is hold in place, its base will attach to anything that is touching it. It might take 2 weeks or longer.

I have one that I wedge it between the rocks, and I kinda regret it, it is now attached to 3 pieces of rock and I can't move it.

MiddletonMark
07/23/2004, 06:28 PM
A number of ways:

You can lightly rubberband two pieces of LR together, with it in a `nook' in between, held with the most minimal pressure.

You can stick it with a plastic food grade toothpick [party store] and fix that into a LR hole. After a few weeks, twist the toothpick loose. The next day, remove the toothpick.

Heard of putting fishing line thru the bottom, attaching it via that to LR.

Glue, superglue, epoxy ... most leathers can slime or shed their skin enough to get free of these.

Heck, a piece of rubble in a shot glass, with the frag sitting on the rubble can provide enough calm water for the frag to sit and attach in the next week or two.

Anyway ... lots of methods, really. Provided it's safe for a reef tank ... you can try it. Keeping the clone/unattached coral near where it was, and where it will thrive ... is a good idea.