PDA

View Full Version : Cloudy and stringy stuff....

tereefic
07/22/2004, 08:20 PM
Well, I noticed my co2 was out, long enough for my alk and thus ph to drop just below 8, i run a kalk reactor and calcium and am usually very stable between 8.2 and 8.4 through 24hrs.

I hooked up a new co2 tank and added reef builder and reef calcium to get the tank back up, for some stupuid reason...worked like 60 hours this week and was beat....added the reefbuilder (powder form..i usually dissolve in ro/di first) directly to tank in powder form and calcium at same time. alk had dropped to 3.00 meq.

now alk is 4+ (limit of test kit) and cal 400ish. and I have cloudy water and (coral?) were sloughing slime.

I assume calcium precipitpataion and corals shocked a little, been 2 days, slime stopped more or less corals a little closed.

Should i do some water changes, or will things settle down. BTW 225 gallons between tank and sump. 1.025 spg. ph ok at 8.2 now.

romunov
07/23/2004, 03:03 PM
Maybe you should ask on the chemistry forum.

rshimek
07/24/2004, 11:44 AM
Hi,

Well, you certainly put your anmals through a mixer... :(

At this point, I would just let the system ride it out. I don't think your animals would benefit by more drastic changes. Generally alkalinity and calcium changes by and of themselves are not too much of a problem.

The big problem would have been the potential pH swings and those are now probably over.

So... now, leave well enough alone. :D