PDA

View Full Version : Stomatella spawning

wharfrat48
07/22/2004, 03:48 PM
This morning I saw both my Stomatella snails standing upright (if snails can stand) and releasing what I assume were eggs (more particulate than smokey). Were these spawning females? Since both snails had the same "stuff", I guess there is no chance of baby snails in the future?

Thanks

Rich

NicoleC
07/22/2004, 04:39 PM
Looks like a little puff of smoke rising? That's them.

I started with one stomatella (okay, it must have really been two) and now I have hundreds. Expect babies.

Haggisman14
07/22/2004, 05:07 PM
i was lucky enough to see that happen one night too...mine put out about 4 spurts of eggs...each must have had what seemed like 20-30 little eggs. Needless to say I trade stromella's away for frags...I had 2 in the beginning as hitchhikers, and now i have them everywhere....great cleaners though!

Marc

NicoleC
07/22/2004, 05:20 PM
I've traded stomatellas for frags, but they are a pain to catch. My columbellids are much easier to catch to trade and are even more prolific.

Haggisman14
07/22/2004, 05:35 PM
i found the trick to catching stromellas....especially if u need to do it during the day. Make the tank as dark as possible for about 30 mins....then go in w/a dim light so u can see in the tank, and u'll be able to nab a ton of them from the glass walls alone.

NicoleC
07/22/2004, 06:03 PM
Mine rarely get on the glass; they stay on the rock. I usually have to dig them out of the crevices in the rocks.

Masoch
07/23/2004, 07:43 PM
I've introduced a few stomatellas to my tank, but my cleaner shrimp treats them like popcorn. Bleh.

As of tonight, however, I've gone into colonista and asterinid star ranching. A few of each and I get a new candycane frag :D

Congrats on the spawn!

I always treat it as a sign that I haven't completely screwed up my tank when I see obvious signs of spawning.