PDA

View Full Version : Can coral bleach...?

chris66ss396
07/22/2004, 03:04 PM
I have what I believe is a type of brain coral - I'll post a pic later tonight. The coral is marroon in color and within the last few days the coral seems to have several areas that have become somewhat transparent. The coral hasn't changed form the state form what it was recieved (it was a gift). The water conditions of the tank are fine - lighting is PC.

I'm just currious if this is the beginning of the end.

-Chris

MiddletonMark
07/22/2004, 03:08 PM
Well, given it's new ... IMO something is wrong for it to lose color.

Light, flow, water chemistry ... all likely.

Please see the `Rules for Posting' stickied thread at the top of this forum + answer the questions. IMO, chances are good we can get this healthy again.

chris66ss396
07/22/2004, 05:05 PM
I plan to post a pic and more details when I get home later tonight - I just wanted to make sure I haven't over looked something obvious or being obsessive.

More to fallow very soon....chris

chris66ss396
07/22/2004, 09:03 PM
Here are some more details - tanks been setup for a year, just moved to a different location about two 4 weeks ago. Coral stared to get trasparent in spots about 1.5 weeks ago. Nothing around the coral, only other corals are mushrooms, polips, and another brain plus one clown, cleaner shrimp, brittle star and generic cleaner crew. Kent additives have been used since moving the tank - Iodine, liquid cal, dkh Buffer, and Salifert "all in one" - added per instruction. I don't know the exact type of coal this is since the whole setup was a gift from someone relocating.

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/64830sick_coral2.jpg

Ph 8.0
KH 300
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 30
Gravity - 1.025 - 34
Temp 83 - when I get home from work.
Water flow is good
PC 2x12" total 4 bulbs
35 gal tank with 20 gal sump
Skimmer is working fine - has been on during light cycle but I'm gonna increase to 24x7

I'm currently raising the PH right now and do a water change this weekend.

-thanks - Chris

NwG
07/23/2004, 01:48 AM
Maybe not my fourm to post on but I would say....
Sal. .025-.034 wow thats high and a big swing please try to bring that down and get it more constant.
temp 83-- this is pretty high again try to keep this aroung 77-78 and things will be happy........
light... maybe too little for corals some softys but not much
skimmer -- run 24/7 this is a small tank lots of stuff floting around....
I think there is nothing better then water changes try to do 2 5g a week and everything should be happy...
again not my fourm to post but I hope I can help
Nate D

chris66ss396
07/23/2004, 09:36 AM
Just to make things crystal clear from my previous post. The salinity is 1.025 - my hydrom has two sets of numbers...across from 1.025 is 34. The temp of the tank starts out at about 80 and through the corse of the day works it's way up to 83 - my lights are on from 6am to 9pm... I'm beginning to believe my light cycle is too much. Tank lighting is two double PC bulbs (about 12" long - four bulbs total, 3 blue 1 wht) - the bulbs are about a year old and might need to be changed soon. Top off water due to evap is RO - water changes of 10% are done every three weeks.

The coral does expand with the lights on - since I didn't buy this coral "new" I have no point of reference as to what it's supposed to look like - but I do know the bleaching doesn't look right.

-Chris

chris66ss396
07/23/2004, 10:42 PM
Any ideas - I'm on the verge of tossing this guy for fear of the tank getting out of balance.

-Chris

I know that sounds drastic - but I have a shipment coming in next week.

MiddletonMark
07/24/2004, 08:09 AM
I would cancel that shipment ... and keep this guy until you get paramenters stable IMO.

Tank temp ... that's a wide daily range.

Bulbs ... don't buy photosynthetic livestock until you replace your bulbs ... IMO most of my PC bulbs are `used up' by 9 months ... light could be a big problem here [as will be shocking the coral when you get new bulbs]. But come on ... you're springing for livestock instead of bulbs they need?

Nitrates at 30 ... not a healthy place for corals.

As you moved your tank a month ago [kept same sandbed? new sandbed?] ... I would not add anything ... would just do weekly or bi-weekly 10% water changes until you get those nitrates down.

IMO, moving the tank [unsettling all sorts of things] and the various instability that goes with that .... plus the high nitrates ... IMO you're going to struggle with most corals.

---
Realize, you got this coral removed from the ocean for your pleasure, to keep in your tank. Your tank IS out of balance, tossing this coral that you brought out of the ocean [as consumer, you ran that supply chain] ... IMO is not what I like to hear. Especially tossing one so that your next ones will be ok ... if you are having a problem with your tank ... you shouldn't be adding more into it.

Sorry for sounding negative here, but it sounds like you need to get your tank in better stable health + skip any new corals/etc until that's the case.

MiddletonMark
07/24/2004, 08:12 AM
Also, I'd discontinue any additives that you don't test for. It's so hard to know whether you have too much of those [possible if you do regular waterchanges which replentish most of those anyway].

You never know, maybe you're running a close to toxic level of Iodine or something else ... and that's the problem with this coral. Just my take, but the only thing I'd add is Ca/Alk - and everything based on water tests.