PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know Where I can Get Some Southdown???

garrettjohnson
07/21/2004, 04:32 PM
I was wondering if anyone knew where I could get a couple 50 pound bags of Southdown for around 10 bucks a piece????

aquababy
07/21/2004, 05:15 PM
If you have Home Depots in your area check with them for stock.
You might peek at this first
:http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=388823

EvilMel
07/21/2004, 05:56 PM
They don't sell it at Home Depots in our area, but you might ask Charles where he got it because at one time he got a bunch. I think it was from some place in North Carolina.

Charles is easttn.

easttn
07/22/2004, 07:49 PM
GJ,
Give me a call. We are having a garage sell this W/E in Jonesborough, got a couple for ya $10. a bag. Maybe you'll buy this 90 or some other stuff too. 423753756.

Kennetht
07/22/2004, 08:35 PM
how many bags do you have Charles? I may be needing some soon. I'd like to come and see the tank also. Let me know.

easttn
07/25/2004, 08:40 AM
4 I think and some in a tub.

Kennetht
07/27/2004, 04:53 PM
Charles....I'll take 1 bag....I'll let you know when I can get it....maybe this weekend. Just let me know when you are free.

AquaticEnterprises
07/31/2004, 04:44 PM
Hi everyone. Just moved to the area and am in the process of setting up a 155g reef tank. I'd like to get my hands on some Southdown as well (I'll use regular play sand if need be, as I always have in the past with excellent results). How many bags of this stuff are left here? I'm estimating I'll need somewhere in the 200-250lb range. Thanks!

EvilMel
07/31/2004, 05:26 PM
I don't think there's any way there is that much around. But hopefully someone will be able to supply you with atleast some of it.

You have had good luck out of silica-based sand? No diatom outbreaks?

Welcome to Knoxville btw, and come to our next reef club meeting if you want!

AquaticEnterprises
07/31/2004, 05:40 PM
I'll definitely try. I'm still somewhat in the process of moving in. I appreciate the invite though. Where can I find out more info about the meetings?

Silica sand does not dissolve in the water, especially in the higher-pH water of a marine tank. That it causes diatom outbreaks is pure myth.

I've had deep sand beds made with plain old play sand in tanks of my own for over two years as well as a couple of customer's tanks I've set up with no problems whatsoever.

EvilMel
07/31/2004, 06:30 PM
It seems to me that over time, any source of silica sitting in the tank would eventually leech this nutrient into the tank and be available to the diatoms. But I will totally ask my old advisor (we work on marine phytoplankton, bacteria, and viruses).

So if you want to find out about the reef club, just go to EastTNReefClub.com and check it out. The meetings are typically at people's houses, but don't let that stop you. It's just that we love to go see other people's tanks and check out their set ups.

Actually I think the next meeting is at my house, which is in west knoxville. We usually have the meetings on the third saturday of the month. Come check it out.

AquaticEnterprises
07/31/2004, 08:32 PM
I'd be curious to know what you find out. Everything I've ever read and experienced would suggest that there shouldn't be a problem at all with silicates...BUT...that doesn't mean it can't be wrong. Water does slowly erode everything, right? I would think that the rate would be so slow as to be negatable in any real-world application. Let me (and anyone else reading this) know what you find out.

I'll definitely try and make that meeting, if for nothing else than to make some connections to get my new tank filled up a little cheaper down the road! :D

I'm assuming there are at least a few people who have well-established setups and frage and trade/sell what they have...please tell me I'm correct?

I'd also be interested in what people are doing for setups. I didn't order any glass tops or any sort of cover for the tank yet, in anticipation of my decision in lighting. I really haven't decided what types of corals I want to to yet (the sick thought of a planted discus tank is still in the waaaay back of my mind...though my fiancee would never go for it!).

Runner
07/31/2004, 10:38 PM
I ran a tank for two years with a silica DSB. I had diatom problems the first 6 months -- but because I was using tap water. After I started using RO/DI water the problem cleared up and never came back. If the silica in the sand could cause problems, then the silica in the glass would cause even more.

llpoolej
08/01/2004, 08:21 AM
I am having diatom problems right now. I need to do a battery of tests on the tank. I do not have silica sand, but southdown. I do use RO/DI.

My nutty blenny stirs up the tank and at least makes it look ok everyday. Spastic fish.

Welcome to Knoxville Aquatic enterprises. I think the Sept meeting is at my house. Which is also in West Knoxville

AquaticEnterprises
08/01/2004, 09:37 AM
I've only ever had diatoms in my freshwater tanks. Now cyano, that's a different story!

I'm not familiar with the water chemistry here...I normally just set things up and see how they go. On the up side, the water here is MUCH softer than where I'm coming from: WI: pH 8.4, 1600-1800 uS...here it's 7.8 and 200-220.