PDA

View Full Version : torch coral death

Sparky0028
07/21/2004, 12:24 PM
I have had a torch coral for just about 9 months now and has been doing very well. Recently I added two Seio 820 pumps, one on either side of the tank facing the front on a angle down. The coral is about 3" of the base in the center of the tank. The coral is now blowing around like crazy, last night when I looked one of the heads seem to have been ripped of the skeleton.
I have also notice two smaller heads have receded, I though this was because they were on the bottom of the coral and the light was block out by the larger heads on top.
Tanks specs

Light 2 x 250w CV 10K, 2 x 96w actinic
PH 8.1-8.3
Sg 1.025
Temp 79-82
NO2 0
NO3 2
NH3 0
Alk 3-4
CA 400
Weekly water chnages of 15 gal on a 100 gal tank. Does anyone have any suggestion on how to save this coral?

porky
07/21/2004, 12:41 PM
The coral is now blowing around like crazy, last night when I looked one of the heads seem to have been ripped of the skeleton.
Does anyone have any suggestion on how to save this coral?
How about reducing the water flow around the coral. It sounds like the problem started with the addition of the powerheads. I know my torch, or any of my LPS don't like too much current.
Try reducing the water flow around the torch.

davejnz
07/21/2004, 12:43 PM
Find a protected spot in your tank for it and/or change the direction of your pumps.Euphyllia sp. dont seem to like agressive water movement.

Sparky0028
07/22/2004, 07:23 AM
Thanks
I put the pumps in so I would get more flow for the acros and make them happy and I go and destroy a really nice lps in the process. Anyway thanks for the advice.

Rich

porky
07/22/2004, 08:26 AM
That's too bad bud, sorry to hear about that, is the coral a total goner?
I am a strong believer in a seperate system for SPS corals. They really should have lots of flow and lots of light but that is not always the ideal conditions for other corals. SPS require loads of calcium and very pristine water conditions to thrive. LPS on the other hand come from lagoonal water that are rich in nutrients and have reduced water movement.
I am in the planning process of a seperate SPS tank and it's gonna look a lot different than my softie, LPS tank.
Good luck!

Sparky0028
07/22/2004, 08:36 AM
Thanks Porky
No I don't tink its is totaly gone, I moved it last night and adjusted the seio's down a bit. I will keep a good eye on it and hopfully it will come back.

Rich