PDA

View Full Version : Clown Trigger in 30 Gallon...Ya Im an Idiot!!!

supernovice
07/21/2004, 02:31 AM
Boy am I glad I found this site. I am in desperate need of some help, for the simple fact that the people at my LFS are more interested in my money rather than my experience with this hobby.

Ok, I have a few questions but first let me start of with my backround. About three months ago I purchased a 30 gallon Uniquarium (ready to run system). Which is great for me as a beginner. Anyways, I added about 25 lbs of LR and 2" of live sand. I let the tank cycle and then went back to my LFS to get my first 2 fish. Here is where the massacre begins. First off, I wanted to start off with hatdy fish, which is what I told my my LFS owner. So, he started me out with a marine Betta and a Leaf Fish. I was very happy with these 2 fish. Two weeks later I went back to get 2 more fish, which should have been my last 2 for this tiny tank...anyways, again I spoke with my LFS owner and he prompted me to get a 3" CLOWN TRIGGER (I know I know...i should have done my research) and a small Dot Puffer. You probably already know what happened next, the "timid", as my LFS Guy stated, Clown Trigger.... destroyed my Leaf Fish overnight and within a week has ripped my Marine Betta and Puffer a new *&^% hole. I am furious with my LFS owner, but I think I have learned a very good lesson.

Ok, now for the questions. I am planning on getting a 125 gallon UniQuarium (60x18x24), with the built in Skimmer.

1. First off I want to know if this is a good system for FOWLR? I am sure there is better systems, but for my situation (tight on space in my apt) I think it's my best bet.

2. Secondly, I wanted know if I could keep these fish listed below?

-Clown Trigger(can' get rid of him...he's a blast to watch)
-Snowflake Eel
-Spiny Box Puffer
-Marine Betta
-Midnight Dwarf Angel

I appreciate all the hekp you can offer.

Thanks Alot!!

Gem Tang Rider
07/21/2004, 05:47 AM
I would get a 180 gal for the trigger. When the trigger gets large, it will most likely claim the tank as its own.
My lfs had a large clown trigger in a 75 gal. It barely had room to move. They do have lots of personallity.

Mad Scientist
07/21/2004, 07:10 AM
Although some people have been able to pull it off, in general I would not keep a CT with anything.

No offense, but he already killed/maimed a marine betta why would you even put that one your list of tankmates??? No wonder why the LFS was able to sell you whateve he wanted.

T-T-Trigger
07/21/2004, 08:50 AM
I agree, you have a "known killer", as it were... keeping it with anything remotely passive will be asking for it. If the LFS still wants your business and you still want a clown, you might try a different individual. Aside from that the other thing that can tone down aggression is giving it lots and lots of room in a big tank, the 125 will do that for a year or two, maybe giving you time to find compatible mates - but for an adult CT who is known to be aggressive, you are looking at something more like a 180+.

I think due to your tank space, ease of care, uniquariums are nice, I had something similar but spent a bit extra to go with a Remora Pro skimmer - In actuality your water capacity will only be about that of a 100g tank, due to lost space from the filter area.

As a last word just try to add the others first, like you did last time, and look for fish that are tough and heal quickly!! Like groupers and eels! Just go slow and have a good time with it,be picky with your specimens and eventually you will have a workable community in your tank.

good luck

rtgordon
07/21/2004, 09:34 AM
You are not an idiot... just beginning and learning (and greatly misinformed by the lfs) You aren't the only one... the other day, i heard a lfs sales guy telling a guy that he should get a yellow tang for his 18gal. I told both of them no way that the tang needed a much larger tank and that he should go for something much smaller. We were all beginners once. It is also possible that the lfs probably told you that it would work to sell you the setup... thet probably figured that you would kill a clown trigger or two before you realized the problem.

Unofortanately, there aren't many predator type fish that you can put in a 30. Maybe a dwarf fuzzy (which are very cool, btw)... maybe some other scorpionfish... maybe a hawkfish of some sort?

125 is the minimum size for a clown trigger. Hopefully, you can do better than the minimum. You might consider a more passive trigger (niger/pinktail) or more hardy/aggressive tankmates when you get the larger tank set up.

hth

gordon

s dubay
07/21/2004, 09:52 AM
I would agree 125 would be minimum,but i would seriously not put a marine betta with any aggresive fish!I have one and i am always worried about him getting enough food,he is with a lion and some larger tangs!Marine betta's are very shy and secritive ,one would not do well in a tank with a clown trigger!

2004jeepoutlander
07/21/2004, 10:13 AM
you arent he idiot the lfs store is

dulim
08/07/2004, 03:40 PM
The fish store sounds dishonest. I have quite a few instances with LFS myself. More than I would like to admit, but I've learned a lot from it. Especially not to trust anything they have to say. I think the majority of us have had made our mistakes in this hobby but few like to admit to it. Keep your head up and have fun. :D

jwm2k3
08/08/2004, 03:08 PM
Originally posted by dulim
I think the majority of us have had made our mistakes in this hobby but few like to admit to it.

Ive killed more fish than any three people on this forum, I would bet....

T-T-Trigger
08/08/2004, 08:29 PM
what kind of odds do I get on that?

jwm2k3
08/09/2004, 09:24 AM
Originally posted by T-T-Trigger
what kind of odds do I get on that?

LOL.

Trigger Fan
08/09/2004, 11:55 AM
You would be ok with the CT in the 30 until it's about 6"-7". Then you would have to move it to a larger tank.

Kschell
08/09/2004, 01:03 PM
What are you feeding the Clown Trigger?

K.

supernovice
08/09/2004, 05:11 PM
I feed it frozen crill

Kschell
08/09/2004, 07:04 PM
Is crill a brand or a type of food?
You might want to diversify to more meaty foods: Raw scallops, shrimp, mussel, and such. Just buy them at the grocery. Mine used to love that. I had a tiny CT in my 40 gal. it grew from 1" to 3" in about 9 months, then back to the store. (I bought it with prior approval that the store woudl take it back when it outgrew my tank!)

great fish.

Trigger Fan
08/09/2004, 07:07 PM
My picasso loves it all, but it really loves shrimp with a passion. Next addition, a CT.

supernovice
08/09/2004, 07:23 PM
thanks alot everyone...now i dont feel like such an idiot

uijun
08/10/2004, 10:59 AM
I'm NOT expert in reef or fish only,
BUT i just wanted to share my experience,,

THERE ARE NO COREECT ANSWERS TO ANYTHING,,
The best way is to try and figure out for yourself,,

I do agree that ONE CANNOT ignore the statistics of individual
fishes habit and their enviroments,
But reason why i have stated as above is that i have
a 16gallon tank and have 3 triggers(each 3" or larger)
But they are doing just fine,,

although my triggers hasn't been that long in 16 gallon tank,
lot of my members at Reefclub(Korean) had great success
with at least more than one trigger in less than 30 gallon tank.

The point i'm trying to make here is that
NOBODY CAN BE 100% CORRECT~~!!!!!

Probably lot of people think i'm insane, BUT my tank is running
good so far, not to mention my members' TRIGGER tank which is running almost 2 years now WITHOUT ANY PROBLEM,,,!!

Lastly, You may wonder, what will i do when triggers get big,,?
What would you do if other fish, such as butterfly or angel get
toooo big for your tank...!! :)

oreocookie713
08/10/2004, 11:23 AM
UIJIN...did you say 16 gallons??? if so you're probably the biggest idiot i ever came across. You and your friends are plain ignorant and plain STUPID. 3 fish in a 16 gallons is at least irresponsible on your part. It's same as saying i have a dog and i put him in a small kennel. Sure your dog will live in such a horrible condition but is it ethically right to house an animal in such tight quarter? Better yet how about you living in a small tiny room( small office for example)...sure you wont die from such confined space but would u be happy? same goes with animals. YOu need to educate your friends as well. That's animal abuse and outright CRUELTY. Dont you feel sorry for them they didnt ask to be put in such a small tank....Sorry if i sound harsh but hopefully you and your friends see the light.

pisces77
08/10/2004, 01:38 PM
The first problem is that you have had a trigger for "almost two years" and it is only 3"! Most triggers grow to 5"+ in their first year if you don't cram them in a showbox of a tank! I'm usually not a person who rants at people about fish size vs. tanksize but gimme a break. Is your next tank going to be a nanocube with a Panther Grouper?

jwm2k3
08/11/2004, 10:36 AM
oreocookie, LOL.

uijun
08/11/2004, 11:26 AM
First of all my triggers are 3" and my friend who has raised more
than 2 years has bigger trigger of course tank is bigger then mine
BUT not like in 50 gallon or OVER~~

PLUS oreocookie713 ~!!!
Yup~~ i do have them in my 16 gallon
And i don't consider myself to be Idiot nor stupid

If you think you are so ETHICAL and WISE,
Why the hell are you doing this hobby in the first place,,,

Don't you think these Fish/corals belong in the SEA where its
WIDE OPEN and FREE~!!
Not even in a 100 gallon or 200 gallon tank whether u use super expensive equpment can match the natural environment,,,!!

PLUS i have no interest on what size your tank is..BUT if your
fishes outgrows the size of your tank,,
then i guess your stupid and unethical~!!!

And Lastly, let assume that a poor person raises a dog in a
small tiny house,

would this be animal abuse and unethical...???

Do you live in Beverly hills where your dog can run around for miles..? I DON'T THINKS SO~~~

I just stopped by to share my experience, but i feel really bad
to notice that there some people who is VERY VERY Rude and
Inconsiderate~!!

I think YOU should learn a thing called manner if you know what
it is,,,!!

oreocookie713
08/11/2004, 12:28 PM
UIJIN
Are you listening to yourself? U make absolutely no sense at all!!!

If you think you are so ETHICAL and WISE,
Why the hell are you doing this hobby in the first place

If this is your point of view then why keep birds, snakes, hamsters, or whatever pets? They all belong in the wild but if u decide to get one at least provide them with proper care !!!

let assume that a poor person raises a dog in a
small tiny house,

would this be animal abuse and unethical

yes that wouldnt be right if that dog is a ST.Bernard or Great Dane...get a small dog if you dont have space...big dog need bigger space smaller dog dont require as much....DUH!!!!! Tha'ts common sense. If you have a small tank get small fish!!!Same concept here buddy!!!! Would you put a small barracuda in a 16 gallons?

Yes i admit im RUDE but only to people that are just too stupid to understand ..it's not rocket science..one plus one = 2. It's simple arithmetic dude not calculus.

But insults aside i sincerely advise you to change your way of thinking...good luck!!!

Gem Tang Rider
08/11/2004, 10:13 PM
I'm glad it's not just me, who gets excited.
Triggers from my experience love to swim & like all foods except over processed.

rtgordon
08/12/2004, 09:21 AM
The average person could survive in a 150Gal box, but wouldn't you rather have a little bigger box?

Jimbo
08/12/2004, 12:33 PM
This guy clearly has no clue. We know he's wrong, everyone who reads this thread will know he's wrong. No sense in insulting him and trying to change his mind. Fortunately even most newbie fish keepers are smarter than this.

Jim

Mad Scientist
08/12/2004, 03:43 PM
Originally posted by uijun
THERE ARE NO COREECT ANSWERS TO ANYTHING,,
The best way is to try and figure out for yourself,,

I
The point i'm trying to make here is that
NOBODY CAN BE 100% CORRECT~~!!!!!

I think you proved that someone can be 100% wrong.

BTW, the best way to have some fun in the hobby is to learn from others that have experience and have already made the mistakes. Wasting money, time, and killing fish to learn that you can't keep a trigger in a tiny tank doesn't make much sense, but neither does any of the stuff you have posted. Stop embarassing yourself.

T-T-Trigger
08/12/2004, 06:20 PM
I wouldn't even put my mantis in less than a 20g tank...

I hope your triggers jump out of the tank and bite you for being so proud of your ignorance.

supernovice
08/12/2004, 06:48 PM
Man....U guys are freakin intense.....I box professionally and I have yet to meet anybody so aggressive. So, I better watch my back or I'll have the "Trigger Police"...T-T Trigger and Mad Scientist show up at my door with a net for my fish and a tranquilizer dart for me.

Well you guys will happy happy to know that I have upgraded to a 200 gallon home for my trigger, and I am currently in the process of selling my 30 gallon. Ujin, maybe you'll be interested in a new home for your Triggers....or are you still keeping them in those tupeware containers....hahaha. J/K...sorry I had to jump on the "Trigger Police" Band Wagon.

Anyways, thanks again for all your help guys.

T-T-Trigger
08/12/2004, 07:30 PM
hmmmm....

... more like the anti-bonehead militia.

oreocookie713
08/13/2004, 07:40 AM
wonder if he upgrade 16 to 20 G...:D