PDA

View Full Version : popeye and discoloration...

gitsumpottery
07/20/2004, 07:14 PM
I have a small chromis that has one eye bulged, which I think is popeye, and three of the four chromis have discolored (white patches) on their bodies... Now I have been searching for a decent picture of brooklynella to see if that's it, but I can't find anything!

The fish are eating fine, they spend their day swimming around, but the white patches are becoming more pronounced...

My tank:
temp-80
ph-8.2-8.3
ammonia,nitrites and nitrates-0
sal-1.025.

I have no idea what to do with these fish, I can't get a picture because they are constantly darting around and swimming, so sorry. How long do these diseases stay in the tank? (brooklynella, popeye...) Please help, because I am sick of searching the internet trying to find a decent explanation of whats going on...

zac

gitsumpottery
07/20/2004, 07:18 PM
oh yeah, and the reason why I ask about it staying in the tank is because a friend is ordering a saddleback clownfish for me which will come in on friday and i didn't see this before i had it ordered...

can i remove the chromis and put the saddleback in the main tank, or do i qt them all together... the chromis are the only thing in my reef tank right now... besides corals and live rock.

zac

billsreef
07/21/2004, 09:55 AM
I would suggest QT'ing the chromis and treating with either nitrofuran or maracyn 2. BTW how long have you had the chromis?

For the clown, I'd strongy advise setting up yet another QT. It is never a good idea to place a fish in with already diseased fish, and it is definately a good idea to place new fish in a preventitive QT for several weeks to avoid introducing disease to the main tank. Also if the clown is wild caught, be prepared to treat for brooklynella.