PDA

View Full Version : Coralline Growth

gtrestoration
07/20/2004, 10:52 AM
Eric,

I have been browsing many European websites investigating the Zeovit system. I don't wish to argue or comment on it's merits (or lack of) though.:D

My point is I've seen countless pictures of reefs which seem very mature yet the growth of corallines seems to be lacking. Is this due to the ultra-low DO's of their systems or are they just real good at keeping the corallines off the glass. Most tank pictures of US tanks always have at least some down around the bottom and corners of the tank.

On natural reefs are corallines more prolific in certain areas (conditions) on the reef?

I'm assuming the coralline need more than calcium, carbonates and light to survive and grow.

Steve U

G-money
07/21/2004, 05:01 PM
Magnesium should be optimal (1400+) and some think Strontium plays a role, but I can't point you to any hard proof. I tend to find that lower lighting in the actinic range seems to get it growing faster than under full halide or more "daylight" spectrums. Any tank I've ever had has had thicker typical coralline coverage (pinks and purples) in the lower and less lit portions of the tank. The high light portions usually get a green type of coralline...could just be me, but that's my experience.

Generally, high grazing and low nutrients favors coralline growth. I don't think elevated DO's play much of a role.

MCsaxmaster
07/22/2004, 02:06 AM
I am going to mostly agree, but I disagree on one point. First, coralline algae is not particularly different from any other algae (which is inherently a funny statement as distinct types of algae are completely different organisms :lol: ). What I mean in that sense is that they require light in a spectrum that their photosynthetic machinery can utilize (generally this means "blue" heavy light, although even 6500 K bulbs are relatively "blue" heavy), they require space to grow without too much competition for resources, and they need certain precursors from which to manufacture new tissues. Precursors from which to manufacture new tissues are often termed nutrients. Algae, plants, and most bacteria have fairly effective means of turning very basic components into far more sophisticated molecules. Orthophosphate is easily and readily incorporated into, for example, phospholipids and any other phosphate containing molecule. Nitrate and ammonium are readily converted into amino acids and such. The point I'm trying to make I guess is that, like any organism, coralline algaes need nutrition from the environment to build tissue.

"Blue" heavy light satisfies the light requirements of corallines, high grazing helps satisfy the space and lack of competition requirement, and dissolved organics satisfy the need for nutrients to build tissues.

Of course there's a little more to it than that (too much phosphate and calcification is interrupted, for example) but dissolved precursor molecules are very much required for coralline algae growth.

Cheers,

-Chris

gtrestoration
07/22/2004, 09:15 AM
G-Money and Chris.

Thanks for your replies. I really have no problem at all growing coralline algae. If anything it grows to fast and is a PITA, but preferable over other types of algae.

I'm trying to get an understanding of which areas of the natural reefs that corallines succeed best. Not from a lighting standpoint but rather one reef zone over another if thats the case.

Steve U

MCsaxmaster
07/22/2004, 12:44 PM
In general, corallines grow in their greatest profusion in deeper water that has some degree of grazing. Mostly though they tend to form huge 3-D structures at about middepth and lower where coral coverage tends to be slightly lower (though more diverse). A lot of this has to do with being able to utilize lower light levels than many other organisms--they can grow where others can't. In fact, I've heard the Caribbean described as having a "sponge and coralline" zone in deeper water (but not too deep).

I hope that made some sense.

Cheers,

-Chris

EricHugo
07/24/2004, 09:36 AM
Well, I really can't generalize or even confirm a similar observation between tanks here and there, or why some might be lacking corallines. Nor would I confirm that European tanks run with lower DO than here. Coralline growth, to me, is a good thing and indicates high rates of calcification, which usually translates to high coral growth, too. Corallines are CO2 users, rather than HCO3 users, and form carbonates of high magnesian calcite, whereas stony corals form aragonite. So, magnesium deficiency could be a factor in some cases.

Corallines are, as mentioned, just algae. They are in a taxon that also holds Graciliaria, Halymenia, etc. There are also green calcareous algae (Halimeda, etc.). The red corallines are found in all manner of conditions, from low to very high water flow, very low to very high light, etc. They are extremely speciose, and it would be hard to generalize and say why some thrive and some dont as their habitats are as diverse as those of corals...actually, moreso.

So, I'm afraid I don't really have an answer. Hope this explained a little, though.

Ger
07/25/2004, 11:21 AM
I tend to agree with Eric, I have always used the growth of coralline algae as an indicator of tank stability and availability of certain elements like calcium and carbonate. It's funny, until you started this thread it has never even occured to me to think about if and where coralline algae is predominant in the ocean. Trying to think of it, I haven't noticed coralline algea anywhere specifically, there is not one area where it was more widespread than others. The only time calcerous algae stood out to me was lots of Halimeda at our last dive trip to Honduras. Of course the reason for that could be that recreational diving only occurs to depths of usually down to 100' +/-. As far as coralline algae in German tanks goes, I have seen many tanks there with coralline algae.

gtrestoration
07/25/2004, 11:51 AM
Eric,

Thanks for trying.
----------------------------------------------------
Gary (Ger)

I just found it interesting or maybe strange that Alexander's tank shows little or no growth of coralline in the pictures that have been posted of his mature system.

Either it isn't there or he is an excellent housekeeper.

I cannot take a picture of any of my tanks without the coralline being obvious.

Steve U

Ger
07/25/2004, 12:19 PM
Steve, Alexander has coralline algae in the back of his tank where he can't really reach to clean. His tank is amazingly well taken care of. Last time I saw it there was not a single water spot or salt creep on it...
I have some great pictures that show some of the coralline algae. If you want, I can e-mail them to you (they are way to big for RC).

gtrestoration
07/26/2004, 09:36 AM
I have some great pictures that show some of the coralline algae.

Ger,

Thanks for the offer, but that's not needed. Either I believe you or I know what it looks like....

...maybe both.:D

Steve U