PDA

View Full Version : Yellow amoeboid creature - any ideas?

gobiesox
07/20/2004, 12:35 AM
These are some photos I managed to take of a strange creature that came aboard some live rock in a small invertebrate tank I ran about four years ago. I have been searching for info on it since that time, and have had no leads at all as to what it might have been. The photos were taken on the second (and final) time it ventured onto the aquarium glass. Finding it on the rocks was virtually impossible. Unfortunately, it was never seen again.

The first two photos may look a bit "worm-like", but careful observation will reveal that it is something very different. The old Kodak DC210 camera I used at the time didn't have the kind of resolution that newer digitals have, so some details are tough to make out here. The Astrea snail and blue-leg hermit visible in some of the pictures should give you a sense of scale.

When moving, it assumed the linear "worm-like" configuration seen it the first three photos. Just barely visible are the numerous small strands of material that extend both in "front" and "behind" the creature as it moved, much like the pseudopods of a unicellular amoeba. It would pull itself forward along these strands, and could creep across the tank at a respectable pace. The fourth photo shows it at rest (maybe feeding?), where its amoeboid form is more apparent.

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/510/65396blob1.jpg
Moving. Tank background removed. If you look carefully you can make out the strands on both ends.

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/510/65396blob2.jpg
Same shot, with the background in place. The "pseudopods" on the "front" (left) end are easier to see here.

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/510/65396blob3.jpg
About 15 - 20 minutes later. It had moved a few inches to the left. Notice how much of the mass has contracted to the "front".

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/510/65396blob4.jpg
The following morning, "at rest". This, sadly, was the best shot I managed to take of it in this state. Notice how it has shifted and branched. Each of these branches had numerous "pseudopods" extending from them, fanning out in many directions (not really visible in the photo, but quite obvious in real life). This demonstrates how it was able to send out these "strands" from any point along its "body", and not just from from two points as seen during locomotion.

I'm fairly familiar with most forms of invertebrate life, but I've never encountered anything like this other than single-celled organisms. Could this be some sort of oversized amoeba? I really wish I could have captured this thing. I would have loved to have taken a look at it under a microscope.

Any information or thoughts on this creature are very much appreciated. It's had me stumped for quite some time now!

rshimek
07/20/2004, 09:36 AM
Hi,

You may have a specimen of some thing really neat, but I would need a specimen of a portion of it sent to me live for verification. It may a weird type of animal called Trichoplax.

If so....

These animals are in the group called the PLACOZOA. There are only 2 species known, Trichoplax adhaerens and
Treptoplax reptans. Trichoplax occurs in the littoral zones of warm seas. Treptoplax has been seen only once, in 1896, and its existence is in doubt.

These organisms are small, amoeboid, they have no organs
oo polarity, no symmetry and no nervous or muscular systems. They have the lowest level of organization of any type of animal.

They eat algal cells; protozoans, rotifers.

This, for the moment, is my best guess. :D

Anyway... neat looking critter. :D

gobiesox
07/21/2004, 09:10 PM
Unfortunately, these photos are four years old and I have not seen this creature since then, so capture isn't likely.

Thank you very much for the information, though! I've been looking up whatever information I can find on Trichoplax, and I'm fairly confident that this is it. Yale's Peabody Museum claims to have a display of live specimens.... maybe I should take a trip to CT and compare notes :D

gobiesox
07/22/2004, 06:03 PM
Further investigation has developed another wrinkle in identifying this little beastie. Every mention of Trichoplax adhaerens I have found states that the animal consists of only a few thousand cells, and averages only 3 millimeters in diameter. My specimen was clearly much, much larger (several centimeters in its extruded, motile state). Behavior and locomotion seem to fit perfectly with what I've read so far about Placazoa, but the vast size difference can't be ignored.

Looks like the hunt continues, but this is the closest I've come so far! If I uncover anything new I'll post it here.

rshimek
07/24/2004, 11:14 AM
Hi,

There is a lot of "anecdotal" information about Trichoplax or similar oddities floating around the world of marine biologists, I was drawing on some of that when I suggest the identification. It is quite possible that some larger specimens/species of placozoans exist. :D

I doubt you will be able to satisfactorally identify it from the images, unfortunately. If you ever do see some more of it... I would truly love to see a specimen. :D