PDA

View Full Version : HELP White Spots on Zoos

Diamondcarey
07/19/2004, 12:56 PM
Please help me out with this. I noticed about 1 week ago that I have white spots on my one colony of Zoanthids. I was wondering if these white small pieces are barnicals, becasue they are on some of my rocks and on the glass of my tank. Or would this be mold? I really wish I could get you a picture, but I cant at this time. This Zoo piece, about 2" x 2" piece has been in my tank for about 2 months and is and was, completley healthy. Like I said, I think I noticed the white spots about a week or two ago...not really sure on that though. Some of the white spots I was able to scrape off with my nail, and others are more imbedded into the tissue and I can not. My tank has been established for about 10 months or so. The zoos that have these white dots, open fully and then you cant see them. Its only when the polyps are closed up that you can see them.

- The type of coral - use scientfic names if possible: Zoanthid
- How long you have had the coral: 2 months
- How long it has been having problems: 1/2 weeks???
- The rate at which the problem is occurring/spreading: Just on this one piece, not any other live part of coarls, just barnicals on rocks and glass tank.
- Any changes to the tank - equipment, additives, new livestock, etc.: tried Nitrate Controller crystals, ended up taking them out.
- How long the tank has been set up: 10 months or so, bit longer.
- size of the tank ( gallons or liters): 20 gallon
- nearby corals: Other ricordea and mushrooms

Water quality:
- pH:8.5
- temperature: 80
- salinity: 1.025
- nitrate: 30 ....doing more water changes to get them down
- phosphate:280
- alkalinity:? not sure

Sure hope I coverd everything here. Really hope its not mold/fungus and if it would be is it contagious? If so, by touching or just being in my tank could spread it? I dont have any other tanks at this time.