PDA

View Full Version : mushroom corals

RowSonic
07/19/2004, 10:48 AM
I jsut want to ask if you can put different types of mushroom corals very close to each other or different mushrooms in one piece of rock in an aquarium. I am thinking of making a nano tank jsut full of mushrooms and nothing else.

gmcbroom
07/19/2004, 03:38 PM
I've seen rocks at my local LFS with many different types of mushrooms on them. He was charging over $100.00 for per rock. So the answer is yes.

jnichols
07/19/2004, 03:42 PM
Go for it, I have them bunched up together in my tank, shrooms and rics. :)

XxMutedYouthxX
07/19/2004, 06:20 PM
yup shrooms are good to go... toss as many of those lil guys in there as ya want :)

EricHugo
07/19/2004, 08:31 PM
The answer is no. It seems that similar mushrooms co-exist well...for example, R. florida, the "Actinodiscus type" (green, purple, blue, pink, striped, etc.), and various Discosoma sp. But, if you put a Discosoma or Rhodactis next to a Ricordea or "Actinodiscus type", they compete strongly, and generally the weaker will show a shrivelled or unexpanded edge at contact or near-contact.

RowSonic
07/20/2004, 03:48 AM
Ok so I can mix up my ricordea and actinodiscus type no problem? Also, how can you tell by looking what species are what? Like I amthinking, if the mushroom has long hairs(hairy mushrooms) its no good with mushrooms without hairs(actinodiscus). I am thinking of putting my green stripe corals with my marble coras together in one rock. I actually have another type of mushrooms I need to get an id of. It looks like a hair mushroom when closed and when it is open it has tiny hairs that are neon green and is as soft as hairy mushroom.

EricHugo
07/20/2004, 07:58 AM
Identification of mushrooms ain't always easy! But, your thinking is probably adequate for the purposes here.

RowSonic
07/20/2004, 09:01 AM
thx a lot eric for the great help. I will probably start a new thread about what corals can be joined together with no problem. BEcause I have two bubble corals that is white and green and I am thinking of placing them besides each other. That will be fine right because there same bubble?

jnichols
07/20/2004, 09:18 AM
Thanks for the clarification EricHugo. :) I forgot to mention that the Rhodactis is a :mad2: mean mushroom :mad2: Sorry :rolleyes: that's what separates the RCSTAFF from us little people.

Jason

O'Coralman
07/20/2004, 10:26 AM
RowSonic...do not put those bubbles next to each other. My own exp.....my green one defines aggressive. It has sweepers that seek out anything(several..3-4"). I just moved my white one as the greenie was jaming it. I could see it colapsing as the sweeper was like an electric shocker stuck into whitey.I moved whitey and all is well(it took a day of two for recovery). Greenie now is trying for my candy coral and my green hammer. We will have to watch. MHO...Steve:dance:

O'Coralman
07/20/2004, 10:29 AM
Eric...just bought your Corals book with the hammer on the front. I found my tank attitude to parallel your opinions. Much needed help...thnx.....Steve:dance: