PDA

View Full Version : Need help IDing this hitchhiker

carg
07/18/2004, 08:20 PM
I have a few of these that showed up on some live rock that I purchased a couple months ago. I didn't bother with them because I was certain they weren't aiptasia, but I wasn't aware of other bad anemones that hitchhike. I was wondering if someone could help me identify this. It has been in my tank for a few months now and doesn't seem to be multiplying or anything but if its bad I'd like to get rid of it just the same.

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=45431&papass=&sort=1&thecat=500

carg
07/18/2004, 10:25 PM
BTW it is about the size of a nickel with a stalk that is about 1 inch long and a quarter of an inch wide. On occasion it moves to get a better position under the light and they have been in my aquarium about 3 months and haven't multiplied yet. If any of this information will help.

rshimek
07/19/2004, 09:14 AM
Hi,

It looks vaguely like a small majano anemone, but "not quite..." The tentacle pattern is unlike the pest anemone. There are a lot of small anemones in the tropical seas, and I think you have one that doesn't match the common ones in my references. Personally, I would leave it be, and only start to be concerned if it seemed to be causing problems, but I rather like these animals.

carg
07/19/2004, 06:48 PM
thank you Dr. Ron