PDA

View Full Version : Substrate on Fungia

HighPriest
07/18/2004, 03:37 PM
Looking for some advice on a fungia I just added to my tank. I have a couple of MaxiJet 1200s hooked up to the wavemaker to generate some current. From time to time substrate is blowing onto the Fungia. Should I find a better place for him or is this acceptable?

Thanks!

dragon_slayer
07/18/2004, 07:15 PM
you dont want a build up of sand (substrate of any kind) on the coral. also if the flow is to strong he wont expand fully and will not be able to catch food.

kc

Lan C
07/18/2004, 08:08 PM
Had the same problem with my fungia getting sand all over it from my rainford's goby dropping sand on it and my algae blenny shooting sand all over the place. I added a small piece of live rock that was sort of flat and about 6 " round and 1 to 2" high and set the fungia on that. Now the sand doesn't get on it and it looks like it is doing much better.

Lan

dragon_slayer
07/18/2004, 08:12 PM
a fungia should be placed on sand not rock, they expand and contract their flesh constantly and to a great extent, it can rub on rock and get torn or damaged very easily.

kc

Reefmedic79
07/18/2004, 10:46 PM
Getting sand on the fungia from time to time really isn't to bad a problem as they are pretty good at removing the sand on thier own. If it's something thats a constant problem though, i would redirect the PH's or find another place in the sandbed for the plate.