PDA

View Full Version : Source for garage door track?

mhurley
07/18/2004, 01:18 PM
I'm just about done with my new light box that will enclose my 1600 watts of halides and VHO's, venting it directly out of my house instead of baking my fish room. I'm going to mount it over my tank in the fish room on garage door rails so it can simply roll out of the way.

Problem....nobody carries garage door track...I've got wheels..but no track. The guys at Home Depot chuckled at me saying they've looked for it to and the only place to get it is directly from garage door installers. I checked Ebay, McMaster and Google and nada...zero...zip.

I guess leaving a key part of this project to the last minute was a bad idea...I just didn't think finding this stuff would be difficult.

Any suggestions? I need approximately 16' of straight track for 1 3/4" wheels.

Thanks!

murfman
07/18/2004, 03:22 PM
check out raynor garage doors, look for a company near you or raynor.com

laugh
07/18/2004, 11:38 PM
This might be your lucky day. I recently bought a new house (new to me, it's over 100 years old) and I have a nice big barn. The kind gentleman who once resided there was a pack rat. Anyhoo, I was hauling stuff to the scrap yard and there were some garage door tracks in there. I don't believe I threw these away if you are interested I will go check in the morning. Forgive me for not remembering but there is a ton of crap out in that barn and I just can't keep track of what I houled away. I am in the cleveland area. You can have these if you can find a way to get them. If you pay I will ship them. I will cut them down to the lengths you need to reduce cost. HTH
BEN

laugh
07/18/2004, 11:53 PM
I just looked up a map to see where you are at. I am about 50 miles on the other side of cleveland. I suppose I would be willing to drive a ways to meet you somewhere but I would almost think if they were cut down it would be cheaper to ship them. With todays gas prices and all.

laugh
07/19/2004, 10:20 PM
I looked out in the barn and I still have it. It's yours if you want it. I have two tracks that have around 20' of straight track. Let me know I will cut it down and ship it to you. Can't imagine it would be more than $10-$15. I also have a five gallon bucket full of small engine caburators if you're interested???

marm64
07/19/2004, 10:35 PM
Look in the yellow pages for a place that repairs garage door and give them a call and ask about getting a hunk of track. My brother was looking for a 6' garage door and called a small repair place and they sold him a door that a guy backed into and just damaged one side but they had all kind of parts from repair jobs.