PDA

View Full Version : can i add corals

rbarb1111
07/18/2004, 11:46 AM
My tank is fishless due to ick outbrake. My question is can i add corals to my tank during the 4-6 week period i am waiting to rid the tank of ich. I have no corals right now. If there is a chance that i can get ich from introducing corals later wouldn't it be better to add a few corals now even if i have to wait the 4-6 week period after introducing them. Then i can add the fish after they spend their time in the qt tank. i have no way to qt corals later due to lighting. I hope this is clear!!!

Thanks

Frick-n-Frags
07/18/2004, 01:03 PM
Ich is a fish specific little parasite that has a multi-stage life cycle which has to have a fish host for part of the cycle. They are not involved with corals, except the possibility that some free swimming ickies :D may get in with the water if the coral was previously kept in icky water. The odds of this are slim however.

This is also a good arguement against ever pouring alien water into your tank. Once acclimated, lift the coral out of the old water and set it into the tank, then toss the old bag/acclimation water to minimize adding pests.

The coral issue would revolve more around ensuring that there is adequate light, flow, overall tank stability to provide the corals with the conditions they require to survive.