PDA

View Full Version : help and info on "bugs" in tank

mnewsome
07/17/2004, 06:56 PM
I was sitting eye-level with the sandbed in tank, watching peppermint molt. I noticed a small creature traveling across surface of sandbed. I have never seen anything like it before. It looked like a tiny centipede. It had an almost translucent body w/black legs and had some blk around the head region. I was hoping that someone may have an idea about what it is. I just had my tang die and about 3 wks ago my firefish died. I am panicking at the thought of this little guy possibly being the cause. Then again, I don't know if it could just be some creature living happily in the sand or LR. Anyone got any ideas about what it is?

rshimek
07/18/2004, 10:08 AM
Hi,

Sorry, but without an image or more detailed description it is hard to tell.

It could be any number of small crustaceans (amphipods, isopods) or polychaete worms.

I suggest you do a google image search of these terms and see what turns up. You may be able to narrow your question enough to allow me to help you find out what it was.

zenya
07/18/2004, 10:10 AM
See if you can find some info here (http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2002-05/rs/index.htm) and here (http://www.rshimek.com/animal_identifications1.htm)

From your description it could be many things, from harmless amphipod to the cirolanid isopod.Picture would be worth a lot here ;)

Sorry Dr.Ron, I did not noticed you were here already while I were busy typing, please delete my post when you have a chance.
:D

rshimek
07/18/2004, 10:53 AM
Hi Gene,

[thanks] for your post and links!

mnewsome
07/18/2004, 12:33 PM
Okay, I am going to try and give a better description. I caught one of the little guys this morning when he darted from beneath a rock after I moved it. Sorry, no pic. All I have is a web cam and I can't get a good pic with that.
This guy is about 1-2cm in length, his body is curved and appears gray, except his legs (or feelers) are red. I think he has 6 legs near the head region(I can tell the head by tiny black eyes) and a couple at the end of his body. He also has a little sack-like part at the end of his body, similar to that of a flea. I just hope that he is not a danger to any of my tank inhabitants.

mnewsome
07/18/2004, 12:47 PM
I think it might be an amphipod of some kind. I found some pics and the anatomy are very similar. Are these harmful to any of the fish or inverts?

rshimek
07/18/2004, 03:00 PM
Hi,

It does sound alike it might be an amphipod. Most amphipods found in reef tanks are quite beneficial.

:D