PDA

View Full Version : An Old Question Eternally Retold :) Mushrooms, Toadstools, and Closed Brains chem?:)

gmcbroom
07/17/2004, 10:55 AM
I'll try and make this as short an succint as possible. I have a Toadstool leather and something that looks like Ricordia mushrooms in my 29 g tank under PC lighting. they are doing okay. The leather is huge the mushroom isn't yet but it hasn't been in too long yet ( A few weeks). I want to add a closed brain to finish off my corals.

gmcbroom
07/17/2004, 11:01 AM
Sorry forgot the question. Will there be chemwarfare between the Mushroom (I belierve to be Ricordea the LFS said it was), the Leather, and the Closed Brain?
Anyone anyone?

sjvl51
07/17/2004, 01:48 PM
I would say yes. The leathers are known for their chemical warfare.

You might be OK if you run carbon 24/7 and try to put as much space as possible between the leather and everything else.

Vickie

gmcbroom
07/17/2004, 04:49 PM
Well I do have a tetra tec power filter that I reun 24/7 and I replace the carbon filter once every 6 weeks. Would that be sufficient carbon filtration or should I add carbon to a biowheel I've also been using( though I only use that biowheel with its carbon removed) I was too afraid it might become a nitrate sponge. I guess if I really want the closed brain I'll have to use more carbon. Issues issues... Anyone else?

sjvl51
07/17/2004, 05:18 PM
Your power filter might be OK but you might have to change the carbon more frequently (depending upon the brand, etc). It will be trial and error.

I have 3 leathers in my tank and an open brain. I watch the brain. If it is inflating (3 or 4 times it's normal size) on a diaily basis, then it is happy. If it starts to not inflate as much, time for a water change/carbon change. With your closed brain, it will be a little harder to tell when it is not happy.

Vickie

EricHugo
07/17/2004, 06:46 PM
The possibiity is certainly there, but time will tell what the effect would be. I would definitely say it is possible to keep the three in the same tank without any apparent competition or negative reaction, but competition will be occurring and the end result may vary depending on conditions and the species involved.