PDA

View Full Version : Moving a Crocea Clam

Hobster
07/17/2004, 08:41 AM
Hi Dr Ron,
We are having a discussion over in the Clam forum and I would appreciate your advice also.
I need to move a 5" Crocea which is on a piece of base rock on the top of my DSB. He has only been in there about 3 weeks and has begun to attach. He is to close to the front glass and I cannot scrape the coraline off. In a few weeks I will not be able to see him:(
What is the best way to detach him without harm. Can I insert a flat blade under and cut the threads or would that be bad?. Sounded better then ripping. I could pull the clam and rock attached out of the water and trim the rock but didn't know if exposure to the air would be worse.
Some folks suggested pointing a power head at him to make him move. I was also thinking of maybe shading him with a piece of cardboard but don't know if that would work. Thanks for any ideas.

rshimek
07/17/2004, 11:01 AM
Hi,

I would use a razor blade to cut the byssal threads and simply move it. The threads are non-living and not part of the body, cutting them won't harm the animal in the slightest.

Hobster
07/17/2004, 05:44 PM
Thanks!:)