PDA

View Full Version : Gen-X titanium heater experience

electroman
07/16/2004, 10:48 AM
I purchased one of these (300 Watter). After about a week or so in my tank, I heard a distinctive pop noise. I looked over to see smoke rising off the top of the aquarium over the heater and chunky ash-like stuff floating in the water. Not good. I called the folks at Pacific Coast. They were very pleasent... no problems there. I figure I probably got a dud unit... happens to every manufacturer. They shipped me off another heater immediately. I got that a few days ago and put it in my aquarium. After only a couple days I happened to be reaching into my aquarium and got that oh-so-pleasent tingling sensation characteristic of approximately 120V conducting through saltwater. I immediately unplugged the heater and examined the control unit. There was the definitive smell of "magic smoke" emanating from the control box. Another one bites the dust. Soooo.... my ratings: Product 1, Company 5.

Just thought I would share

dougc
07/16/2004, 12:08 PM
This mirrors my experience. I had purchased 2 Gen-X 500watt heaters back in January, but Premium Aquatics only had one, so I let them substitute a Won Bros. for the other one. Unfortunately, the Won Bros. heater tube was much longer than the Gen-X and it did not fit in my sump. I ordered another Gen-X to replace the Won Bros. when they were back in stock at PA.

When I received the second Gen-X, it was a completely different design, with a shorter tube and a different thermostat module. At that point, the first Gen-X had been running for weeks, and is still running just fine as I post this message.

About a week after I fired up the second heater, my GFCI started popping. The heater was leaking about 40 volts into the sump. I returned it to PA, who sent me a replacement. The replacement worked for two weeks before exhibiting the same symptoms. After the second one, I swapped it for a Won Bros. heater (350 watt), which has caused me no grief.

I think there is a serious design problem with these heaters. It would be interesting to hear from PA and other distributors what their return rate has been on these.