PDA

View Full Version : Planning a Hawaiian Vacation....

Passion4Fish
07/16/2004, 04:30 AM
I'd like some advice on which islands have the best snorkeling and/or diving among the reefs. We were planning to stay at least one week of the two week trip on Kauai.

CrystalAZ
07/16/2004, 05:20 AM
There were a couple of good Hawaii threads a while back.

Personally, I wouldn't spend a whole week on Kauai. It is a beautiful island, but there is one road that goes around the whole island, so once you've seen it, you've seen it. I'd do maybe 3 days in Kauai... you want to dive or snorkel on the Na Pali coast, and you want to drive up to Waipia (sp?) Canyon. You also want to have a drink or ten on the patio at the Princeville Hotel, and to see the bird sanctuary.

Kauai is very laid back, but also very resort-like. There's a lot of golf and such.

I'd make sure to spend a few days on Oahu. Lots to see there. Snorkeling at Hanuama Bay. The Dole Pineapple Plantation. Pearl Harbor. The Waikiki Aquarium. A drive around the island is a must. And, of course, Waikiki... have a drink by the beach while watching hula dancers. Shop at the excellent (and mucho cheap) street vendors. Oahu is also the place to be if you want to do parasailing or other "touristy" activities. They aren't allowed on some other islands.

I also liked the Hilo side of the Big Island a lot. It is EXTREMELY laid back, and we got a nice ocean-front house with a pool for just over $200 a night. Lots of rainforest, waterfalls, and locals. It rains a lot, but not for long at a time. Plus, you can drive down to Volcano National Park and walk to where the lava is flowing. This was one of my husband's favorite parts.

I haven't been to Maui or the other smaller islands. I hear Maui has some good diving spots.

We spent 3-4 days on each of the islands we visited, and that was just enough time to see the basics while having time to relax. They each have their own personality, so it would be nice to visit as many as you can.

I hope you have a good time, whatever you decide to do!

Crystal

Passion4Fish
07/16/2004, 05:26 AM
wow...thanks for the detailed response :-) Gives me a bunch of great ideas

Tasiamay
07/16/2004, 11:00 AM
I have been to Maui three times (have a time share there) ... and would definately say to fit that in on your trip.

There is the road to Hana, which is absolutely beautiful. Hundreds of waterfalls and one lane bridges. If you get a car with 4 wheel drive you can go all the way around. That way you get to visit some of the less frequented spots & the black sand beaches.

To snorkel or scuba dive, you should look at Trilogy Adventures for the trip to Lanai. It's a private island with less vistors, so you are not trying to see the fish with hundreds of people around you (like if you visit Molokini). Another place to check out is the Blue Water Rafting Company. They take you down the Kehei (sp?) coast to the lava caves. Excellent trip with small groups.

Maui is also great for the night life (as opposed to Kaui). Take a stroll down Kanapali beach to visit all the shops and bars/restraunts right on the beach.

If you are into shows, check out Warren & Annabel. It's a slight of hand magic/comedian show. I don't think I have ever laughed so much in my life! Plus you get dinner before the show!

I have lots more info to share ... so if you would like more, feel free to PM me :O)

HTH

Wilafur
07/16/2004, 11:20 AM
i just got back from oahu (waikiki area) and here is a list of what i did:

- shopping :) sales tax is only 4.1%
- snorkeling @ hanauma bay. go as early as possible because once late morning comes around, too many darn people in the water kicking up sand/silt. (closed on tuesdays)
- circle tour (bus tour around entire island)
- surfing lessons @ waikiki beach (boys club - 1 hr private lesson is $35 person or 2 for $50)
- polynesian culture center & luau
- dole plantation
- flea market/swap meet @ aloha stadium
- submarine ride in waikiki bay (amazing!)
- magic of polynesia show
- don ho show (sucks, don't waste your money)
- eat @ oceanarium, they have a 280,000g aquarium and nightly feeding shows
- international marketplace (shopping, eats & live shows)

corndogg
07/16/2004, 11:56 AM
It depends on what your looking to do. There is more to do on oahu, but that might not be what you're looking for. I would plan a little island hopping. Maybe kick back on maui for a few days enjoy the laid back atmoshere plus it does have a little night life in lahaina, but as said above hana is where it's at. Cliff diving, black sand beaches etc. Also off maui there is one of the more renowned scuba spots molokini I think you can snorkel also.

Next hop over to oahu and get into the action easy acces waterfalls (half hour hike, no jungle trek), shopping, night life. Oahu has the most sight seeing and tourist stuff like Polynesian Cultural Center, Pearl Harbor, North Shore also.

If the funds were available I'd prabably finish up on the big island to unwind a little more and cruise the volcano. If you didn't have the dough for Big Island, when on oahu instead of staying in waikiki get a bed and breakfast in kailua which is on the other side of the island, you'll be away from the tourism stuff it's about a 20 minutes to a half hour from honolulu. Those bed & breakfast spots are sometimes cheaper than the hotels too.

I lived there for 5 years when I was in the Marine Corps so I was lucky enough to visit all the islands even Niihau and Kahoolawe. Everyone's description of each is right on the money. I agree with CrystalAZ don't spend too much time on Kauai cause you'll end up spending alot in the hotel once you run out of stuff to do. Plus a side note Mount Waialeale on Kauai gets more rain than any other place in the world (400 Inches).

That's It man have fun!

ReefRian
07/16/2004, 04:58 PM
I'm guessing you've never been to Hawaii. Well I just wanted to share with you my view. A little different that above.

My first trip to Hawaii was Oahu. I really didn't like it. Too many people and tons of buildings. Definintly not what I thought Hawaii would be like. I think I saw 5 polynesians on a week long trip. The weather was also bad on that trip so I can't tell you how the snorkeling/scuba diving is.

I then went to Kauai for 5 days and Maui for 5 days. Everyone I was with loved Kauai and we all wished he had stayed there the whole 10 days. Kauai has great snorkeling (we stayed at the Lai Nani), I really wasn't impressed at all, actuall grossed out, with the Princeville snorkeing area. It was really shallow, really warm in some places and freezing cold 2 feet away. There was also garbage and tons of algae to ruin the fun. Though there isn't too much busy life on Kauai, which is what we liked. Maui was fine, but I recommend not saying on the windy side.

My last trip was on Maui in Kihei (I think that's how you spell it). I really enjoyed the trip, still a bit crowded or my taste but the snorkeling wasn't too bad even along the beaches in Kihei. I did go snorkeling at Molokini and there were way too many people. You spend more time making sure you don't get kicked in the head than you do looking around. Scuba diving was pretty cool at Molokini and we also went to another place and dove with the turtles, I think that was awesome. If you go to Maui, check out the aquarium, it is amazing.

Hope any of this helps,
Rian

cwbroden
07/16/2004, 11:46 PM
I am also looking at going to Hawaii, so thanks for all this info.

CrystalAZ
07/17/2004, 02:30 AM
ReefRian - thanks for a differing opinion.

Yes, Oahu and Kauai are VEEERRRY different. But in a good way and in good contrast to each other.

I agree that Kauai wasn't busy compared to Oahu - but at the same time, that one loooong road around the whole island became very boring. Everyone on the road drives 30 MPH and we got tired of it. :) We were staying in the Princeville area, so had to go the same way every day (the road is like a big "U" with no roads on the northern Na Pali coast) and got so sick of seeing the same sights.

If I had Kauai to do over, I would've gone on a helicopter ride. I bet that would have been beautiful.

My favorite was the Hilo side of the Big Island. So much to see as far as waterfalls and Waimea Canyon. And the volcano. And the black sands beach.

Makes me wanna go back...

Crystal

surfy
07/17/2004, 11:48 PM
Never been there, actually I have never been on a plain:)
I want to go sometime within the next year or so while I still have the time and spare money.

What would be the best time of year to go so there isn't so many tourists. Or is there such a time?

How do you get from island to island? Do you have to make reservations ahead of time to each island you want to stay at?

Can you tell I have never traveled,lol.

juststartingout
07/18/2004, 05:37 PM
We stayed on Maui @ the Royal Lahaina(?) We went diving @ Black Rock, which is supposed to be a popular spot. It was very close to our hotel. It was our first dive experience, so I can't compare to other places. There was alot of cool stuff down there. You could go Mtn biking down from Haleakala crater, it's reported to have snow there from time to time. I think it was abt 10k feet, I'm not sure though. Did the obligitory luau.

There is so much for everyone, on each of the islands I think. I believe that everyone should take the chance to go there at least once. The Humpback Whales are there about December to April. We just got the tail end of that (no pun intended) but it was awesome, you can hear them in the water, making noises. They are there bringing up their young'ens. Oh' makes me want to go back....

pisces77
07/19/2004, 12:39 PM
Originally posted by Wilafur
go as early as possible because once late morning comes around, too many darn people in the water kicking up sand/silt. (closed on tuesdays)

This is the reason that I like Kauai, less people in the water.