PDA

View Full Version : feeding a brain coral

rx2006je
07/15/2004, 08:44 PM
i have a Brain Coral, Wellsophyllia - Metallic, and was wondering what an how to feed it. i use micro-vert and phytoplan in the tank often. but i have read that some people feed them. i was wondering what if any types of food would be good to feed it, and how you go about feeding it. like where is its mouth, on the top of the folds or between them? any help would be appreciated.

R33f3r
07/15/2004, 09:33 PM
I use chopped frozen silver sides. I feed it about once a week when it's feeding tentacles are extended at night.

rx2006je
07/15/2004, 09:43 PM
i have never seen it's feeding tenticles at night what do they look like. i have moon lamps on my tank at night would that have anything to do with it.

R33f3r
07/15/2004, 09:49 PM
I doubt it, but it might, depends on how much light the coral is getting. You can see the tentacles below, they are pretty small.

http://www.reefcorner.com/images/OpenBrainTentacles.jpg

rx2006je
07/16/2004, 01:30 AM
if the feeding tenticles don't come out, or are they visible to the naked eye, will enought light be sufficient. or the edition of phytoplan or micro-vert. also as of the past 2 days the coral has not gotten as big in size during the daylight hours is that normal to happen every so often?

roberts722
07/16/2004, 11:46 PM
I do not feed mine at all and it is growing like crazy..

Oddjob
07/17/2004, 10:09 AM
I direct feed mine also, about once a week or so. Usually siversides, or whatever larger sized frozen foods I have (squid, chopped clams, etc...). Mine has a very strong feeding response, as opposed to say my frogspawn.

Obi-dad
07/17/2004, 01:05 PM
The tentacles on mine take at least a half hour to come out after lights out, and sometimes don't come out if there are light on in the room. Try making the room completely dark and coming back after an hour, I bet you will see the tentacles.

If you ever get fresh scallops to eat, you have a cheap source of food for the brain. When we get fresh scallops for dinner, I pick off the chewy little muscle on the side (which normally is thrown away) and freeze them for feeding my brain, one piece a week. It loves them.