PDA

View Full Version : Italian sausage recipe...

MarkS
07/15/2004, 07:55 PM
I've got to share this. I came up with this recipe and am making a pizza with it now. It is awesome!

1 tsp whole corriander
1 tsp course ground black pepper
1 tsp sugar
1 tsp salt
1 tsp whole fennel
2 Tbsp olive oil
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp ground thyme
1/4 tsp ground mace
1 Tbsp Paprika
1 tsp rubbed sage
1 1/2 tsp ground cayenne
1 Tbsp whole fennel
1 tsp course ground black pepper
1 pound ground pork (80%/20% mix)

In a spice grinder, throughly grind the first five ingredients. In a small bowl, mix the olive oil and ground spices and set aside.

In a large bowl, mix the ground pork with the remaining spices until well blended. Use a spoon or gloved hands to avoid cross contamination. Add the oil/spice mix and blend until throughly mixed. Wrap in plastic wrap and let stand in the refrigerator for at least an hour for the flavors to mix.

At this point, use a sausage stuffer to stuff casings or brown and sprinkle over pizza.

TheBimbo
07/15/2004, 08:01 PM
Yummy... Sounds good but alot of work... How's about if I make a delivery order??? And also do you deliver beer, as I could go for an ice cold Coor's Light to go with the pizza... Thanks, and yes I'll tip you!!! :rollface: Seriously, sounds good... :)

TheBimbo
07/15/2004, 08:05 PM
Oops...

MarkS
07/15/2004, 08:12 PM
I'd better warn those making this. It is HOT! If you don't like very spicy food, cut the cayenne pepper to 1/2 tsp.

tooshay
07/15/2004, 08:54 PM
It is amazing how much better homemade Italian sausage is than store-bought!! My mom makes one with parmesan cheese and red wine in the mix and it is to DIE for!! I gave this recipe to my mom for her to make me a batch :) Thanks!

MarkS
07/15/2004, 09:18 PM
Originally posted by tooshay
It is amazing how much better homemade Italian sausage is than store-bought!! My mom makes one with parmesan cheese and red wine in the mix and it is to DIE for!! I gave this recipe to my mom for her to make me a batch :) Thanks!

Cool! If she can improve this any, I'd appreciate it.

Obi-dad
07/15/2004, 09:33 PM
You have '1 tsp whole fennel' and '1 Tbsp whole fennel' - is that a typo, or total of both?

MarkS
07/15/2004, 10:06 PM
Originally posted by Obi-dad
You have '1 tsp whole fennel' and '1 Tbsp whole fennel' - is that a typo, or total of both?

No, not a typo. By grinding up spices and mixing them with oil, you extract more of their flavor. The second addition of whole fennel is because I like the flavor of the fennel seeds. Same with the pepper.

Toddrtrex
07/15/2004, 10:26 PM
Thanks MarkS for reminding me of the great food I can no longer have. - I cant eat whole seeds anymore, though I suppose I could leave out the last fennel. I do like (and can still have) spicey food