PDA

View Full Version : removing and attaching mushrooms from live rock

rx2006je
07/15/2004, 02:59 PM
i have some ricordea and some blue mushrooms that are already on some live rock in my tank and i want to get rid of the piece of rock that they are on, and remove it from my tank. is there any way that i can get the existing mushrooms off of the rock and how should i go about attaching them to another piece of rock in my tank? should i use epoxy or some other method? any help would be appreciated.

Sugar Magnolia
07/15/2004, 05:21 PM
nope, you can't use epoxy because rics and shrooms slime too much. the best way to remove them from the rock is to use a sharp razor blade and slice them off as close to the rock as possible.

as far as reattaching them to new rock, place them where you want them and anchor them down with some nylon tuille (fabric stores) and rubber band the tuille in place. It takes a few days to a few weeks for the corals to attach. or another way os to use small plastic cups filled with sand and rubble to the top, add the shroom or ric, use the tuille again to keep them flush with the rubble and rubber band the tuille around the cup, set the cup on the sandbed and viola...attached corals in a few weeks. HTH.

rx2006je
07/15/2004, 05:46 PM
thanks i will try that. if the shrooms will just pull off can i do that rather than cutting them?

Sugar Magnolia
07/16/2004, 12:14 PM
it's unlikely that they will just pull off. like I said they tend to exude alot of slime when touched so cutting them off is the only way to remove them.