PDA

View Full Version : Leaking Fluval 304

rykwong
07/15/2004, 01:14 PM
I have a Fluval 304 which leaks from where the motor attaches on to the main body, right at the seals. It is a slow leak, but it's a big hassle. I already bought a new seal, and still see little trickles coming down the side of the filter. What should I do? Should I just give up and get a new filter? Are these filters garbage? The filter is about a year old.

bergzy
07/15/2004, 02:49 PM
i have a 15+ year old fluval 403 (note it ends with a 3). in fact, i have a 20+ year old 102 (note it ends with a ...i am old man!:))

it's a bummer that your fluval is leaking. maybe they dont make 'em as good as they use to.

up to you if you want to trash it or call hagen and see what they can do.

i needed an o-ring for my 403 since they dont sell them anymore. got it from them directly in about a week.

bergzy
07/15/2004, 02:51 PM
i am so nice...

searched the no for you...

1-800-724-2436

gotdesl
07/16/2004, 01:41 PM
I have two 304s that did the same thing. They were set up on freshwater for a couple of years with not a single problem. Immediately after setting them up on the salt, they leaked at the sides where the levers fold down. It is not the o rings as I have replaced them twice to no avail. Eventually, they would seal up with the salt creep but as soon as you cut power to them, they would leak again. After flooding my floor a few times, I set up a sump system. The 304s were great on fw, and a pita with sw.

reefmarker
07/16/2004, 01:54 PM
They don't seem to like saltwater. I have one that would barely move saltwater, was a pain to prime, and was prone to leaking. Cleaned it up put it back on my freshwater tank and it works fine! Go Figure. Maybe the slight difference in density is enough to make the 304 not work. I have a 404 also. The 404 has no problems with saltwater. Go figure.

rykwong
07/16/2004, 03:30 PM
Hey gotdesl, that's EXACTLY what happens with mine. It leaks in the beginning, then eventually stops. If I turn off the system, water starts gushin out. What sump do you recommend on my fish only with live rock 60gal tank? Thanks

yoofish
07/16/2004, 03:38 PM
I had the 304 too. If I were you I would scrap it before it burns you. Mind started out with a slow leak and then one day I cleaned it out, put the top back on and a couple hours later I had lots of water everywhere.

rykwong
07/16/2004, 03:55 PM
Hey guys, what filtration system do you recommend then? Can the sumps ever leak too? Which make and model? FOWLC 60gal tank

gotdesl
07/28/2004, 12:24 AM
There are too many choices to be able to list a make/model. You can do anything from buying an aquarium to fit under your stand, to buying a purpose built job. I would suggest that you go with the largest that you can fit within reason. This will allow you to increase your total system volume, have an in-sump skimmer, and maybe a refugium. Lots more options with the sump. Run a search and see what other's are using. Good luck.