PDA

View Full Version : montipora digita question

redheaded_reefer
07/15/2004, 12:30 PM
Hello. I have 2 frags of brown montipora digita, one is about 1 inch, the second is a nice branching piece about 3 inches. I have had them for about 3 months. They seem to be growning nicely. My question is this....Lately (for about a week) I have noticed that they seem to be bubbling up. Especially overnight. Then after I turn on the lights (175 watt MH and 22 watt Actinic) the bubbling receeds. The polyps have not been extending during the day either. I do not know if they do at night. There are not any corals that are within reach of the montiporas. But here is what I have. Pumping Xenia, various mushrooms, purple and green star burst polyps a couple different types of zoos, and a huge toadstool. What sould cause this behavior and what does it mean. Is it a bad thing, something to worry about. Here are my tank specs:

29 gal (set up of 7 months)
Sal: 1.024
Temp: approx 80 but falls at night into the 70's
Ammonia, Nitrate, Nitrite: All zero
Phosphate: unknow as I do not have a test for it
Alk: Unknow as I do not have a test for it
Powerheads: 1 @125 g/h

I don't know if I can adequately describe what I mean by bubbling up. When I look at the branches, there are inflated areas. There is no bleaching. Any help/info I can get would be appreciated. Sorry for no pic.

kevin_mic
07/15/2004, 02:27 PM
This might be a similar problem.

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=403179&goto=nextoldest

No solutions yet though.

redheaded_reefer
07/18/2004, 03:52 PM
I appreciate the reference. I didn't get much info out of it pertaining to my question, though.

EricHugo
07/19/2004, 08:51 AM
The description of "bubbling up" isn't really ringing any bells for me...photo possible? Better description?

kevin_mic
07/19/2004, 02:17 PM
Sorry, it was supposed to be this thread

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=401461

It was in reference to the monti pollops not extending during the day but that they do come out at night.

MiddletonMark
07/19/2004, 02:23 PM
Can you get a pic or more description on `bubbling up'?

davejnz
07/20/2004, 10:00 AM
I have observed this as well.The tissue near the base seems to inflate slightly similiar to the bubbling that Euphyllia sp. do only not so pronounced.I've only observed it with the brown variety.It doesn't do it anywhere near the tips or branches but will bubble where the branches join together at usually on the shaded side of the colony.It was also more pronounced at night.

redheaded_reefer
07/21/2004, 08:45 PM
I wish I could provide a pic. But my digital camera isn't near good enough. Let me try to explain bubbling....Well along the all the branches, there is tissue that has swelled up like blisters. One frag is about 10" below the water surface and my light is 10" above the water. This frag blisters up more than the other frag which is about 6" below the surface. It does not seem to happen at night, only after the light is on. These frags have been under this light for a while and were acclimated to the light and have not had any problems with my light before. So I am concerned and confused.