PDA

View Full Version : What licenses/other things do I need to import coral from another country?

mane3215
07/15/2004, 11:24 AM
I am hopefully soon bringing coral in from another country if everything works out as planned. Everything is being handled on his end. I was wondering what will need to be handled on my end to get things moving. I will have to pick up from the airport, so of course this boxes will be searched/inspected by customs. Will I need to present some type of license to them or something other then ID?

The airport I will have to pick up at is at least 3-4 hours away, so I cant just drive home and get something I may need =).

LobsterOfJustice
07/15/2004, 12:05 PM
I have no idea, but if i were you I'd call the airport and ask them. That way if they need something I didn't have, NOT MY FAULT.

fishome25
07/15/2004, 08:57 PM
Importing coral here on the east coast is not fun. CITES is very strict. If one coral does not match the list that you planned to import they can confiscate your entire shipment, you would not get reimbursed. Better off just ordering from an LA wholesaler.

Julio
07/15/2004, 09:03 PM
Fish and wild life would be a good way to start.

mane3215
07/15/2004, 09:14 PM
Fish, your saying the open every box, and check every coral? Do you have experience (personally) with them confiscating your corals? Where were they from? What list does CITIES go off of? Do they have a site that I can view there restrictions?

Julio:

Thanks man, I have heard that, I have to find out how to get in touch with them. Do they have a website?

robwsup
07/15/2004, 09:35 PM
Do you really think that the people inspecting the corals will know the difference between an Acropora nana, and an Acropora millepora?

I have ordered from a few LA wholesalers, if Chris has ordered from any, then that is why he is attempting to undertake this task.

mane3215
07/15/2004, 09:37 PM
Heheh, nah Rob I havent, but I know what ever I get from LA will most likely be what everyone else didnt want. Besides, what I am working on no one has done before =).

Julio
07/15/2004, 10:01 PM
CITES is very strict and they often do open everybox if they feel up to it.
You can do a search for fish and wildlife, they have a local offfice in every state.

mane3215
07/15/2004, 10:02 PM
Well I would have to go to NYC to pick this stuff up, would I have to look at their fish and willife division?

Thanks

va_reefman
07/15/2004, 10:34 PM
Here you go Chris. Please let me know if it goes through. I think I know what you are up to.

http://www.cites.org/common/directy/e_directy.html

HTH,
John

mane3215
07/15/2004, 10:35 PM
Thanks John, you do indeed. I dont know if it will happen, but we will see =).

va_reefman
07/15/2004, 10:41 PM
I also spoke to Josh at Roozen a while back for something else. He can help to point out few things that you may need as far as getting all the neccessity paper work going.

I gave up due to the time it may take and all the required documents at that point.

Good luck bro.
John

mane3215
07/15/2004, 10:42 PM
I hear ya.....PITA! I wonder what permit I need, Open Seas Permit?