PDA

View Full Version : Fungia and Hammer Help, Thanks.

sesegal99
07/15/2004, 09:12 AM
New corals...need some advice....
Just picked up the following....

5-6" Green and Pink Fungia Coral

6" continuous Hammer Coral

All parameters are good. Both were out within an hour of placing them in the tank.

My questions:

I have the Fungia on the sand....should it be placed higher on the rock? What is their light and flow requirements and do they eat supplemental food as I notice it has a large mouth opening in the middle. This was sorta an impulse buy because it lookes really cool and was a nice lg specimin. FYI I am running 3 250 W MH above my 150 with the center bulb being a Coralvue 15000K.

Hammer: Supplemntal feeding? Light requirements? Right now he is half way up the rockscape with med flow.

wee-reefer
07/15/2004, 08:28 PM
Fungia's are sandbed corals, by being placed on rock they can tear their flesh against hard surfaces. Feeding: You were right on that assumption, that large mouth is there for a reason. The need 20% of their daily intake of nutrition from consuming meaty foods like mysis, krill, small silversides, and mine seems to love spectrum fish foods. They are also very good at removing any extra sand that might blow on them, and once in awhile they will make a mucous net to trap detritus, and reel it in to consume.