PDA

View Full Version : Egg crate below sand?

tygger
07/15/2004, 12:13 AM
Does anyone use egg crates (plastic grid) below the sand to help the hold up the structure of the rocks?

Reefmaniac1
07/15/2004, 02:13 AM
Nope. The only time I used eggcrate IN my tank was on my old 75g, while I was running a plenum setup. The folks that I know who do what you are talking about actually place it ON the sand, underneath each piece of rock.

tygger
07/15/2004, 12:00 PM
I think that may be the correct way when using eggcrates. I probably misunderstood when this was explained to me...

I would rather not use egg crates if it were unnecessary.

CaliforniaDreamer
07/15/2004, 12:08 PM
The standard way to support your liverock is to place it on the aquarium bottom before adding your sand. Also the use of epoxy, zip ties, acrylic dowels, or some other method to stabilize your aquascape is a good idea.a.

dmar836
07/15/2004, 06:47 PM
I used eggcrate under my sand on my 120 and on my nanos. For me it is cheap insurance against a pressure point from the sharp LR - I don't like heavy rocks right on the glass. May prevent problems if there is a rock slide too. Then again I often wonder if bits of sand under the crate don't push as well. It also "grips" the rock better when it is placed - doesn't slide around. For me it is a comfort thing. As a benefit it helps keep the sand from blowing completely down to glass if you have a powerhead fall or something. I plan to always place it in new tanks.

tygger
07/15/2004, 07:51 PM
Originally posted by dmar836
I used eggcrate under my sand on my 120 and on my nanos. For me it is cheap insurance against a pressure point from the sharp LR - I don't like heavy rocks right on the glass. May prevent problems if there is a rock slide too. Then again I often wonder if bits of sand under the crate don't push as well. It also "grips" the rock better when it is placed - doesn't slide around. For me it is a comfort thing. As a benefit it helps keep the sand from blowing completely down to glass if you have a powerhead fall or something. I plan to always place it in new tanks.

So do you have your's placed directly on the bottom, right on the glass inches below the LR?

tygger
07/15/2004, 08:10 PM
Originally posted by dmar836

So do you have your's placed directly on the bottom, right on the glass inches below the LR?

dmar836
07/15/2004, 11:29 PM
Yes. Glass, then eggcrate, then rock. Then I fill the sand in around the rock or push the rock down into the sand until it is firm - hopefully touching the eggcrate.

Entropy
07/15/2004, 11:43 PM
I agree completely with dmar836. I would put the eggcrate in first, then the rock, then the sand last. When you put the water in is optional IMO but I put it in first before anything else and then added the rest. I didn't know about the eggcrate setup when I did my install or I would have done it and I will be doing it if I setup another glass tank in the future. It is cheap insurance and at less than 1/2 and inch tall, I seriously doubt there will be any kind of dead area issues (more than normal anyway) even if you go with a DSB. I like getting everything in first before the sand in case you decide to go with the cute and lovable gobies that just love to dig (regardless if it will bring your rock work down on their heads or not :D ).

Putawaywet
07/16/2004, 02:19 AM
Count me in..... been using eggcrate on the bottom of my tanks for nearly a decade.

Brett

Viper9
07/16/2004, 09:43 AM
Do you use it for the entire bottom of the tank or just around the rock areas?

B

tygger
07/16/2004, 09:47 AM
Originally posted by Entropy
I agree completely with dmar836. I would put the eggcrate in first, then the rock, then the sand last. When you put the water in is optional IMO but I put it in first before anything else and then added the rest. I didn't know about the eggcrate setup when I did my install or I would have done it and I will be doing it if I setup another glass tank in the future. It is cheap insurance and at less than 1/2 and inch tall, I seriously doubt there will be any kind of dead area issues (more than normal anyway) even if you go with a DSB. I like getting everything in first before the sand in case you decide to go with the cute and lovable gobies that just love to dig (regardless if it will bring your rock work down on their heads or not :D ).

So you do: water, egg crate, rock, then sand?

Do you use it for the entire bottom of the tank or just around the rock areas?

Good question. :confused:

Cholesterol
07/16/2004, 09:54 AM
I also do water, eggcrate, rock, then sand.

I put eggcrate over the entire bottom of the tank. It's covered by the sand and adds a little insurance if you do have a rock tumble. Also good if you change the aquascaping later :)

mcsock
07/16/2004, 09:59 AM
I have a 4" DSB. 3" off the bottom of the tank is eggcrate. This stops burrowing fish from totally distroying my DSB. They can dig in the sand, just stopped 1" below the surface.

tygger
07/16/2004, 10:34 AM
By adding the sand after the rocks, was anyone worried about burying little critters from the LR?

Cholesterol
07/16/2004, 11:02 AM
I am, but I figure that those that can't burrow out, or are killed due to lack of light and/or flow, are a necessary sacrifice to ensure the overall safety, and health, of the tank. Since you're probably doing this during setup, the ammonia spike isn't that big of a factor.

AberFitchFish
07/16/2004, 11:18 AM
That's very interesting...where can i get eggcrate?

dmar836
07/16/2004, 12:23 PM
Home Cheapo has it in the flourescent lighting section. Eggcrate will tend to float so I add some rock immediately to hold it down
Viper and Tygger, I place eggcrate over the entire botton -, often having to use more than one piece(on my longer tank). It doesn't have to cover every millimeter and rest on the silicone radius in the corners. I have always cut it with angle wire cutters. You could place it just where the rock is but that eliminates all the other benefits mentioned: Burrowing critters, rockslide protection, etc.

bradwent
07/16/2004, 12:36 PM
Originally posted by Cholesterol
I am, but I figure that those that can't burrow out, or are killed due to lack of light and/or flow, are a necessary sacrifice to ensure the overall safety, and health, of the tank. Since you're probably doing this during setup, the ammonia spike isn't that big of a factor.

Don't forget that sand is a natural thing that is encountered in the ocean. A sand storm in an aquarium should not be a big deal and any pods etc. caught below the surface should be able to dig out. Corals would be a different story though.

Myself, I will always use egg crate on glass aquariums. I use two layers of it and it gives me a lot of piece of mind.

Viper9
07/16/2004, 12:39 PM
Does it affect the operation of a DSB?

B

dmar836
07/16/2004, 12:51 PM
Can't see why it would. Anyone else?

bradwent
07/16/2004, 01:43 PM
I have not personally experienced any problems. I would also not see why it would cause problems.

xchrisjb
07/16/2004, 02:26 PM
My concern with using eggcrate is the ability of your sand bed maintenance crew (tiger tail cuc, fighting conch, etc.) to get down to the bottom and clean between the gaps in the crate. Is this a valid concern?

BTW, I'm taking down my tank tomorrow and moving to a new spot in the house. So I guess this is a good time to get some of these ?'s answered and use some eggcrate if it's really such a good idea.

tygger
07/16/2004, 09:17 PM
Originally posted by tygger
By adding the sand after the rocks, was anyone worried about burying little critters from the LR?

Opps! I meant Live SAND, not LR. :D

tygger
07/16/2004, 09:21 PM
Originally posted by xchrisjb
My concern with using eggcrate is the ability of your sand bed maintenance crew (tiger tail cuc, fighting conch, etc.) to get down to the bottom and clean between the gaps in the crate. Is this a valid concern?

BTW, I'm taking down my tank tomorrow and moving to a new spot in the house. So I guess this is a good time to get some of these ?'s answered and use some eggcrate if it's really such a good idea.

I'm going to use 1 layer of egg crate (light diffuser). Suggest you use atleast 1 layer...

Putawaywet
07/16/2004, 10:22 PM
Mine is used only under the areas that will contain rock.

I'm not a DSB affectionardo but I thought that the lower portions of DSB's are usally relatively undisturbed (hence the common observations of gas bubbles in the lower areas) so I would imagine that cleanup crew animals rather infrequently come into contact with those lesser hospitable areas of your sandbed.

Brett

xchrisjb
07/16/2004, 10:27 PM
Thanks, everyone. Maybe I'll pick some up tomorrow.