PDA

View Full Version : Oceanic Salt - As good as advertised?

Tomzpc
07/14/2004, 10:31 AM
I've been considering switching from IO to Oceanic for the increased calcium levels, but I have been concerned about the salt's imbalance when it comes to alkalinity and calcium. Using baking soda or any other buffer is fine for a short term fix but it could cause problems with long term use.

I just saw this new thread on the subject and was surprised to see the reply by Randy Holmes Farley regarding Oceanic. I'm thinking now that I'm going to stay away from it for the time being. Here's hoping that Oceanic is paying attention to the complaints regarding their salt's Alk. level.

LINK (http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=402104)

nine9d
07/14/2004, 11:11 AM
Thanks for the link.

masterswimmer
07/15/2004, 08:47 AM
I'm going to continue using it. Seems to be keeping my critters happy.

Russ

Tomzpc
07/22/2004, 08:23 AM
Here's more interesting info on Oceanic that helps explain why folks are getting calcium levels >500.

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=407012 (http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=407012)

masterswimmer
07/22/2004, 10:16 AM
Thanx Tom. Still going to continue using it. I'm a firm believer of 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it'. Everything in my tank looks spectacular. Polyps on everything fully extended. Nice growth. Why mess with success (at least till this point).

Russ

greenman
07/22/2004, 04:33 PM
I change up my salt..... Use differnt stuff every month...

masterswimmer
07/23/2004, 09:49 AM
Originally posted by greenman
I change up my salt..... Use differnt stuff every month...

Which month do you use Mortons & Epsom?

jk,
Russ

greenman
07/23/2004, 12:08 PM
Epsom is good to bring up magnisum, but so is kents....

masterswimmer
07/23/2004, 06:03 PM
Greenman, my Mg level is over 1600 with Oceanic. Hasn't seemed to effect anything negatively.........yet.

Russ

greenman
07/23/2004, 09:27 PM
I like to change them up... Just think it keeps a better balance dont know for sure. but if you read some of the stuff on the tests some salts have more of one thing over the other. So why not mix them from time to time and get a better ballance.

seaham358
07/24/2004, 08:32 AM
I have been using Oceanic for a few months now and my corals have been looking better then ever. They are on the mend from the crash and I now have new growth on all corals :) Even the hammer which took a beating. The galixia has filled in the large 50 cent piece size bald spot. My colt has 3 large stalks now ready to frag. I'll post some pics soon.
Frank has been using this salt longer then any of us and you know how successful his tank is with corals.

masterswimmer
07/24/2004, 02:58 PM
I'm seeing the same thing Bob. Only difference is, I don't have a basis for comparison. The only salt I've ever used is Oceanic. So I'm not sure if it could be better with another salt or this is what is to be expected.

Russ

gfk168
07/25/2004, 01:46 AM
Bob and Russ, do you have to raise the alkalinity lvl? If yes, how much and how often?

nine9d
07/25/2004, 01:57 AM
Also, how do you guys raise your alk, what do you use to raise it?

seaham358
07/25/2004, 08:27 AM
I posted and it did not go through???????

Ok again.... I use bi-ionic alk once a day, 1 shot for my 125 and if it gets lower then I use 1.5-2 to bring it back up.
I use Cal maybe once a week a shot or 2 to keep the cal up. I use no more alk then I did when I used IO salt. I do use alot less Cal.

greenman
07/25/2004, 02:30 PM
Kents dkh or super dkh buffer......

masterswimmer
07/26/2004, 01:09 AM
I've never had to dose Ca. The level stays up above 550 without dosing. Alk on the other hand does require dosing. I use sodium bicarbonate (standard baking soda). This was endorsed by Randy Farley and it's been working. How much to dose depends upon your levels. I use a few tbs a few times a week. It's cheap and effective.

Russ

seaham358
07/26/2004, 05:57 AM
When your tank kicks off you will be needing to add something for the ca. Its my understandign your corals and the coralline algae use it to grow so when your tank load is larger it will be used. I Start over 500 and after a few weeks it drops down, Im at 450 this weekend. If I did water changes every month then it may stay higher.

Tomzpc
07/26/2004, 11:43 AM
Originally posted by masterswimmer
I've never had to dose Ca. The level stays up above 550 without dosing. Alk on the other hand does require dosing. I use sodium bicarbonate (standard baking soda). This was endorsed by Randy Farley and it's been working. How much to dose depends upon your levels. I use a few tbs a few times a week. It's cheap and effective.

Russ

Russ,

I forget why, but I've read in the past that using sodium bicarbonate long term can cause problems with water chemistry. You may want to check with Randy H F on this.

I'm still not sold on the Oceanic salt, especially since Randy posted about having reservations himself.

Bob...you're right in that Frank had switched to Oceanic awhile back but I'm pretty sure that his corals were looking great long before that when he was using Reef Crystals.

I'd love to see Oceanic look into changing their formula. It seems that part of the problem is that Oceanic calls for mixing the salt to an SG of 1.021 or so, and since most hobbiest keep their tanks closer to 1.025-1.026 we are seeing the elevated calcium levels.
If they're alk/ calcium was in balance as is highly preferable from a hobbiests standpoint, it'd be a non-issue.

I've been thinking that making a 50/50 mix of IO and Oceanic could very well result in the perfect salt mix! :D

masterswimmer
07/26/2004, 02:54 PM
Hey Tom,
Randy is the one who told me to use the sodium bicarbonate in the first place,
http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=380758
however, now I'll have to do some more research on your concerns. Especially since I did mention to Randy H F that going forward, after my parameters were in line I'd probably use B-Ionic to dose. Who would have figured the disparity between Ca & Alk would continue even after getting it in line?

Russ

seaham358
07/26/2004, 03:56 PM
My point with Franks tank is that if O was so bad would his corals/fish be that healthy? If it is so bad why is he having to frag them alot to control the size. This is all I’m saying here I am not saying that O is the best salt ever and that his tank would not be this nice w/out this salt.
All those so called experts can talk, post, write what ever they want IMO seeing is believing.

Tomzpc
07/26/2004, 04:28 PM
I'm not saying it's a bad salt Bob. Many many people have switched to it and the vast majority seem quite happy with it, yet even many of those people are unhappy with the calcium/alk imbalance. I'm close to making the switch to it myself but am just waiting for more answers.

Tomzpc
07/26/2004, 04:35 PM
Originally posted by masterswimmer
Hey Tom,
Randy is the one who told me to use the sodium bicarbonate in the first place,
http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=380758
however, now I'll have to do some more research on your concerns. Especially since I did mention to Randy H F that going forward, after my parameters were in line I'd probably use B-Ionic to dose. Who would have figured the disparity between Ca & Alk would continue even after getting it in line?

Russ

Yeah I know that Russ as I followed the thread. What level of alk have you been shooting for with the baking soda?

It may only be that I read somewhere that using too much baking soda (or anything for that matter) could be a problem IF your calcium was also low, which could cause an ionic imbalance. Since in your case you're adding the baking soda to help achieve the balance, then it may be a non-issue. If that's the case (using buffers regularly and long-term is not a problem) then I'll probably make the switch once I run out of IO.

greenman
07/27/2004, 08:47 AM
Anything is bad over time as it builds up...... Thats what water changes are for.....