PDA

View Full Version : QT Problem !!

Dieselraver
07/14/2004, 12:42 AM
im currently treating my blue carribean tang for a mild case of ick (didnt want to wait till she developed white patches) shes been scratching i have her QT'ed in a 10 gallon with a treatment that contains some formalyn and that green stuff, there is NO copper in the treatment, my question is, if properly cleaned can the 10 gallon be reused in a reef system, also my eheim power head is in that tank now too, can that be cleaned and reused in my reef tank, i know with copper its a major no-no but im not sure about this type of ich treatment, im trying to feed "Dora" garlic, (my sister named her not me!) or soak some nori in garlic to get her to eat it but im wasting more garlic liquid than its worth, ive got a piece of romaine in there with her, i just want her to get better and with the QT tank im hoping it will work,

Maxxumless
07/14/2004, 02:35 AM
Yes, the tank would be fine for corals after being thoroughly cleaned (vinegar/water) as would the filter. I would fill the tank with a warm vinegar/water solution and place the filter on it (running) for a day or two rinse it out until smell is gone, refill with RO water and run it for another day then it should be fine. That is if the ‘green’ stuff you are referring to is Greenex (turned the silicon blue?).

As far as the fish is concerned I would use nori one day then switch to a herbivore diet (pellet) the next. Soak the pellets in Zoe Marine with a drop of Selcon and garlic (I use Garlic Xtreme) using a plastic spoon (pinch of food) and feed to fish after all the liquid has been absorbed into the food. Nori can just be feed with a clip. The pellets with the additives will get the fish eating.

Why are you treating with formalin? It’s a fungal (bacteria) treatment and can be pretty hard on fish. Malachite green and quinine hydrochloride (Greenex) are a potent combination and is effective in treating ich and oodinium. Though it states on the bottle that it does not destroy biological filtration I have found that it does hamper it – so be careful and test for ammonia and nitrites often. The main problem with hospital tanks is ammonia ‘burning’, where fish’s gills and skin are burned by high levels of ammonia.

Reefmaniac1
07/14/2004, 02:49 AM
Actually, formalin works pretty well on Ich and other parasites too. It is GREAT for gill flukes and brooklynella. I have used Seachem's Paraguard...anyways, check out this article:
http://www.aquariumlandscapes.net/aquarium/articles/07.cfm

Dieselraver
07/14/2004, 07:14 AM
the formalin is contained in the same bottle :) its a formalin and malachite green mix but it works on both bacterial and fungal infections (tail rot ich, etc etc) i figured it would be the least damaging to my fish (read somewhere copper is toxic to fish)

Maxxumless: when you say ammonia and nitrates, your referring to fish waste correct?