PDA

View Full Version : Dang! Why won't my pump work right?

gketell
07/13/2004, 10:51 PM
Ohhhhhhh THAT would do it!

http://www.aero-nautique.com/tank/impeller.jpg

Quite a collection!
http://www.aero-nautique.com/tank/contents.jpg

9 black-foot-crochus snails, one cerith snail, upper and lower shells off a sally light foot crab and a goodly hunk of hair algae.

No wonder I didn't have as many baby snails this time as last time!

Oh, and I found 3 more snails imbedded in the impeller slots.

GK

SanFranTodd
07/13/2004, 11:00 PM
that is hilarious

Thales
07/13/2004, 11:03 PM
Thanks for the reminder! Its off to clean the ampmaster!

reefboy1
07/13/2004, 11:09 PM
That's snail abuse!!!

Sorry to see that happen Greg.

Art

gketell
07/13/2004, 11:23 PM
Lesson learned: have a filter/strainer/something at the pump inlet.

GK

BoomerD
07/13/2004, 11:43 PM
But look at the wonderful chopped mollusk chioppino you've been feeding your tank...:rolleyes:

gketell
07/13/2004, 11:47 PM
:-)

mobert
07/14/2004, 01:31 AM
Thanks for the pictures. Pretty shocking! Time for me to make a few changes in the sump.

greg65
07/14/2004, 12:14 PM
Greg!!!!!!!!!

I guess that solves your flow issue ehh?

Mystery solved

-greg-

cyclgrl
07/14/2004, 02:19 PM
Greg,

What size pump is that? That is a lot of stuff!

Cindy

Vincerama2
07/14/2004, 03:20 PM
Was that your sump return pump?

Also, are those trochus snails? Where did you get 'em?

Didn't the pump have a strainer?

V

greg65
07/14/2004, 04:48 PM
Actually,
The pump in question is an ampmaster 3000. 1 1/2" intake and output. These larger pumps dont come with a intake screen. Even so......smaller snails and other debris can easily accumulate in the impellers of ANY pump. Yes , an inatke screen would probably have helped, but not completely solve the problem. The key is to make your pump easily accessible to enable periodic maintenance easier...read true unions and ballvalves.
Believe me......Ill be checking my pump out this weekend if not sooner.
Thanks for the heads up Greg!
-Greg----------also intake screenless

Vincerama2
07/14/2004, 05:20 PM
I actually leave the sponge filter off my return pump so that pods and stuff can get sucked up to the tank, but I don't keep snails in the sumo/fuge either.

V

reef-freaky
07/14/2004, 05:34 PM
Funny thing is I just discovered almost this very same thing on a smaller level. I have been noticing a decrease in performance in my T4 (1" intake). I cleaned it out two weeks ago and found all sorts of gunk in there including algae and little snails.

Vincerama2
07/14/2004, 05:41 PM
I had a HOB filter with a strainer...but the strainer was a bit broken. After a short vacation, I found that all 3 of my blue leg hermits had crawled UP the siphon tube of the filter and got mangled! It would have been better if the screen was not there because then they would not have been able to reach the tube in the first place. instant ceviche.

V

greg65
07/14/2004, 11:20 PM
Ok Mr. Ketell.......I either owe you a big hugg, or a kick in the a** !

After considering your post today i decided to check out my pump input as Ive noticed a dropoff in flow of late.

Took the plumbing apart and to my suprise.......I found almost identicle situation as you had discovered.....atleast 5 large snail remains blocking the input considerably.
Ok...the hugg part-------> holy crap did i just increase the flow :beer: :beer: :beer:
I was in awe of it all over !!

But the kick in the a** part..............atleast 7 frags got blown all over the the tank, and the fish were flippin me off
:uzi: :uzi: :fish1: :fish1:
I need to re-dial things in again......thats for sure. Man..........thanks for the reminder to check these things out !!!!

Hope you'll settle for a beer :D
-Greg-

gketell
07/15/2004, 12:20 AM
A beer will be great.

But you know you've got too much flow when your water blows your glued-down corals over. (:->>)

GK