PDA

View Full Version : Pic of Rugosa

geminiluna
07/13/2004, 04:50 PM
Hi all - just posted a pic of a Pachyseris (Rugosa/elephant skin) coral in my gallery. I'm actually thinking of trading it as I don't believe my 2x65 watt PC is sufficient for it to thrive. Just wondering if others have pics of the same type coral and could post so that I could get a comparison of how other specimens look compared to mine.

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/47403rugosa.JPG

Also - for those with experience with this type coral - does this look healthy for what you can tell given picture quality?

Thanks!:)

jaden1
07/13/2004, 09:30 PM
It looks fine from what little I can see. I too have one and love it. I keep it under pc lighting: 520 watts true 03 blue actininc and daylight 6500k over a 75 gal tank. I keep mine in the top1/3 of my tank and it does grow but very slowly. I would say you dont have enough light for this coral, but I'd say that of my set up too. It is from what Ive read pretty light needy and not very good at surviving stressfull occurrences. I've met many people with sps but not many with rugosa so trading might be difficult. Good luck.

EricHugo
07/14/2004, 07:54 AM
Pachyseris can be found in pretty low light in the wild - or pretty high light, but I'd say low light and lagoons are where it is most common. It's one of my favorite corals. It is the only stony coral with no tentacle development at all.

geminiluna
07/14/2004, 09:05 AM
Jaden and EricHugo - thanks for the replies. It's heartening to know that pachyseris are common to low light lagoons in the wild. Perhaps I am doing ok by my coral specimen. I've had it for almost 8 months with no evidence of any deterioration. Hmmm... perhaps I thought it migth have been doing poorly because it doesn't seem to be growing at all and without tentacle development, I always get over-concerned and wonder if it's eating any of the DT's and cyclopeze I feed.

EricHugo
07/14/2004, 10:24 AM
They do grow slowly, and I have seen ciliary transport of fine particulates...no idea if phytoplankton is used, but if there was ever a stony coral for which it is likely, this might be one of them.