PDA

View Full Version : spirorid worm

dory2004
07/13/2004, 04:33 PM
We have a worm type thing; it is curled to about 1/4" across - I think it could be a spirorid worm BUT, there is a cone, or unicorn type thing, projecting from the middle - straight up. The circular thing is a darker color shading to a medium pink. It doesn't appear to move in the tank and hasn't changed or dehydrated after being in a small cup out of the tank for 2 days. This is about the 3rd one in 3 months. It could be discharge from another animal except that it doesn't show up often enough. I tried a pic with the Coolpix 3700 purchased for just this purpose and it's not clear enough - keep that in mind if you're lookin for a camera! Any ideas or another name so that I could search for a picture?

rshimek
07/13/2004, 05:26 PM
Hi,

I suspect you have a small vermetid gastropod (or worm snail). See here (http://www.aquarium.net/0897/0897_8.shtml) for more information about them. They are commonly found in marine aquaria and some cases may actually become common enough to become rather annoying pests.

dory2004
07/14/2004, 11:30 AM
From a quick skim of your reference, I don't think this is what I have. This weekend I'll have time to read the article, with a brain, and will get with you. Thank you for your [always] quick response!

dory2004
07/18/2004, 08:50 PM
There is one worm/snail that sounds [rather] remotely like the little guy I found. The fella that owns the local LFS (for about 40 years!) services my tank along with an educated young gal, and neither had seen it before. So I tossed it. After reading this article I wish I'd saved it. I could have mailed it, in hopes someone could ID it - we used to have a SeaWorld with great educational tours I might have tapped in to. IF another one shows up I'll take it to work for medical media to photograph! Thanks again for your help!