PDA

View Full Version : Trying to think things through ...

numbr_9
07/13/2004, 03:36 PM
Hi, everybody. I am a reef newbie. Well, I haven't started setting up my tank yet, so I guess I'm still a pre-newbie. Anyways, i come from the Planted Tank side of aquarium keeping. I have been keeping planted freshwater aquaria for about three years now, and have decided to try my hand at reef keeping. Because of my experience, I have a good understanding of water chemestry, bioloads, lighting, all types of filtration, and more. I also have been reading the saltwater articles in my magazines for years.

I will start with a 55 G tank. My goal is to end up with one or no fish, lots of soft corals and invertebrets. I particularly am fascinated with the micro-fauna present in reef systems. To get more detailed, my plans are this:

3" - 4" bed of live sand
30 lbs (is this enough?) of uncured live rock
4x55W compact fluorescent 50/50 on timer
protien skimmer (make/model recommendations anybody?)
2 rotating power heads
Instant Ocean sea-salt for R/O water
Heater

No filter, sump, or refugium .... yet.

As far as corals go, discosoma will be my initial purchase, as well as whatever comes from my uncured live rock. I will cycle the tank using the live rock.

Macroalgaes will play an important role.

I am very patient, and fish are a low priority to me, so I have not decided yet what I will stock it with as far as fish go. Like most reef novices, the image of a clownfish and an anemone fascinates me, but I've read that anemones are more picky eaters than I would have the time for. I then considered a royal gamma, but have read conflicting reports. Some say they are great beginner reef tank inhabitatns, others say they will bother the inverts too much. The other fish I particularly like are cardinal fish.

What inverts / corals would people recommend? I am still building the hood for the PC lights, so I won't even add the sand or water to the tank for another week. I would be pleased as pie to be adding the fish and more inverts late in the Fall. I really appreciate anybody and everybody's advice and suggestions. Also, I have started doing research on this site, and have an insatiable hunger for reading, so if there are any books that you consider vital, please pass that on to me, as well.

Regards,
Reggie Bustinza
Peoria, IL

beaslbob
07/13/2004, 03:46 PM
I would suggest you use you FW planted tank experience and establish plant life as the very first thing. Don't wait to get those macros going!!!!!!!!! Then do the rest. By doing an in tank refugium you could (wish I had) buy say a 75g or even 120g for the same amount of expense. and had more free area for corals also.

I do not recommend skimmers. Better to get a larger tank.

Kamko
07/13/2004, 03:51 PM
I would go with a little bit more live rock - 40-50lbs depending on its density. Also, I suggest you use Oceanic salt instead of Instant Ocean, and that you set up a refugium as quickly as possible after your tank's done cycling. Next, a protein skimmer is important - sorry beaslebob but I disagree with you. Unfortunately I can't recommend a skimmer for you since you don't have a sump yet and I'm not an expert o hang-ons. Besides that, you're looking good on your way to have an awesome reef tank.

Mariner
07/13/2004, 03:54 PM
Reggie,
http://reefcentral.com/images/welcome.gif
TO REEF CENTRAL

Sounds like you're off to a good start for a pre-newbie ;)
Here are some of my thoughts on your plans:
It's generally recommended to go with 1 to 2 pounds of live rock per gallon of tank water. But with a small fish bioload, you could get by with less.

I started with a gramma and Ocellaris clowns in my reef and I think that they are beautiful, peaceful and hardy choices. You may know this, you don't have to have an anemone to keep clowns -- they typically do just fine on their own in an aquarium.

Most of the rotating powerheads out there (e.g. Powersweeps)will stop rotating after awhile -- hard algae and calcium deposits interfere with the rotating mechanism eventually. The Maxi-jet powerheads have a good reputation for functionality and reliability, even though they don't rotate.

For a 55 gallon tank I would highly recommend the Aqua-C remora skimmer with the MJ1200 upgrade. It's about the best HOB skimmer for that size tank IMHO. It, or the Remora Pro, would be the way to go if you wind up not having a sump.

Hope this Helps (HTH),
Mariner

Fizz71
07/13/2004, 03:56 PM
First off welcome to RC.

You had a bunch of questions/comments so I'll comment on of few of them. First thing that caught my eye was the LR. The general consesud is 1.5 lbs per gallon. I'm at about 1lb per gallon in my 105.

Second thing I caught was: "2 rotating power heads"...what did you have in mind? I didn't find ANYTHING good to be said about ANY rotating power head..too many failures. I went with a sea swirl on a closed loop, no submerged (wet) moving parts on the swirl..just a pump to clean.

As for fish..no tank is complete without a pair of clowns...anemone is not needed.

As for corals...if you're a plant guy, you'll probably like zooanthids..there is an endless variety of colors. And the great part is they reproduce quite readily which makes them great for fragging and trading. I have alteast 25 different zoas in my tank..most purchased for $5 a frag (5 or 6 polpys) that have reproduced like mad.

As for inverts..you need to consider a cleaning crew. I went with all snails this time..crabs are too much of a pain, although I do have some a red and an emerald mithrax. I also have some symbotic porceleans growing in an acro.

So decide on your cleaning crew..they are a very important piece of the puzzle. I have 5 different types of snails from sand disturbers like nassarius, to rock and glass cleaners like my astreas.

And finnaly..for books..I like The Conscientious Marine Aquarist by R. Fenner. Great book.

It sounds to me like your on the right track so far. Good luck!!

--Fizz

Reefmedic79
07/13/2004, 04:17 PM
You seem to be well on your way, especially since you found RC before you started. I give you this reply without reading the others replies so if I repeat something just consider it and added opinion.

From you description of having few fish and mostly corals and Macros it sounds like you kind of want a planted salwater tank(:cool: Cool Idea :cool:). There are a huge variety of different color algeas that can be put in out tanks.

Since your tank isn't really a reef tank (I think tide pool or shallow reef) 30 lbs would probably be suffecient, especially if you have a lot of macros growing in the tank. Most "reefers" use closer to 1-2 lbs/gal.

The flavor of the month for skimmers tend to be Euro-reefs. IMO, they an exellent skimmer and well worth the added cost. Besides this is one item you won't want to skimp on $$$.

Rotating PH's have a bad rap for saltwater tanks due to mineral deposits jamming them up very quickly.

With your lighting, Soft corals, Zoanthids, and Mushrooms (Corallimorphs) would be great corals also.

As for fish Cardinals are extremely docile and like lower water flow. In fact with a tank your size you could probably house 7-8 Cardinals without over stressing your bio-load. Cardinals are also easily bred, so after more experience you can probably start making your money back on the tank selling babies. With that in mind as you may already know plants tend to grow fairly quickly so constant pruning may be need for some species of Macros, these cutting could also be sold to local reefers or LFS's

JENnKerry
07/13/2004, 05:39 PM
Welcome. I have to agree with Kamko on the LR. More is always better but not in your case since the fish are a low priority. I have a royal gramma in my 55 and love him. Bothers nothing. Keeps to himself.

For corals, I always recommend the usual "starter corals". Mushrooms, zoos, star polyps. Maybe even some xenia.