PDA

View Full Version : LOOK:HELP: stupid glass shop.

goodreefer
10/05/2001, 06:17 PM
My glass shop that I took my tank too weren't the smartest. I needed a 1 3/4" hole for my 1" bulkhead. But they didn't have the right size bit (which they originally told me they did) so they went ahead and drilled a 2" hole.

My question is: can I still use the tank by using the o-ring and silicon? or is the tank trashed.

Please respond. Thanks

Bob F
10/05/2001, 06:21 PM
You could get a larger bulkhead fitting and reduce it to the size thread you need.

Bob

Doug
10/05/2001, 06:23 PM
Hi Goodreefer,

I am not sure but I have a feeling that the o-ring and silicon would not hold against the pressure of the water.

Can you use a 2in bulkhead instead?

They have them here if you can't find them localy.

http://www.plumbingsupply.com/bulkhead.html

HTH

Doug

goodreefer
10/05/2001, 06:23 PM
at the hole isn't bigger than the o-ring

dsb1829
10/05/2001, 06:31 PM
All is not lost. Savco plasitcs or several other vendors will have heavy duty bulkheads. These are the bulkheads that are used on Oceanic tanks. They actually require a 2" hole for a 1" bulkhead. I don't have their web address on the top of my head, but do a search for Savco.

I think it is very odd for a glass shop to drill a size completely different than requested. If they did this without you giving them the "whatever works" stamp of approval then I would definitely find yourself another shop. That is just bad practice.

At any rate take a deep breath and be very happy the person drilling didn't set you up with a 1.5" hole instead. Gotta search for the possitives:D

Capt.Dave
10/05/2001, 06:39 PM
Originally posted by dsb1829
At any rate take a deep breath and be very happy the person drilling didn't set you up with a 1.5" hole instead. Gotta search for the possitives:D

And they didn't break the glass :)

Dave

goodreefer
10/05/2001, 07:14 PM
hey, hey. thats true.

The bulk head sides and the o-ring still cover the hole, it just can wiggle. If you can understand that. Do you think that I can just center the bulkehead in the hole, add som silicon, and tighten it up?

JerseyReef
10/05/2001, 08:36 PM
I would do what Doug/Doug mentioned go to Savco and get the correct bulkhead for the 2" hole, it's still the same ID it's just schedule 80 not 40