PDA

View Full Version : when to start running lights of fuge/display?

the Undone guy
07/12/2004, 01:39 PM
My tank has been set up and going for about 3 days now...when should i start running my lights? and for how long?

and when do i start running the light on my fuge if there's nothing but LS and LR rubble in it?

Twinkies
07/12/2004, 01:54 PM
I left my lights off through the entire cycling process to avoid a big algae bloom.
It's a good idea to start with an hour or two a day and slowly increase the times over a few weeks until normal.
I wouldn't worry about lighting your fuge until you have something in it that requires light. Most people run fuge lights the opposite hours of their display lighting or leave them 24/7.

McBeck
07/12/2004, 09:17 PM
The LR can probably use the lighting now. I'm not a fan of running fuge lights 24/7, but this is a personal preference. I do run mine on a schedule opposite the display tank to help keep pH stable, but if you do this, the fuge lights should be mostly shielded from illuminating the display.

Dz99ls
07/12/2004, 09:28 PM
you can use then any time

romunov
07/13/2004, 04:07 AM
I suggest you turn them NOW. You cannot avoild having an algae bloom.

If you leave it to cycle with no ligts. The tank cycles, you turn on the ligts, conditions change - boom - algae.

If you turn the lights on now, you will experience all algae blooms. That's when the clean up crew comes in. But do not overstock. Have only a few, so they have soemthing to eat ALL the time.

I suggest you think what nature would do.
Remember, god created light before grass! </sarcasm>

jeffbrig
07/13/2004, 08:17 AM
On a new tank I would start using the lights on a normal lighting schedule from day one. If nothing else, you can get a feel for the tank's daily temperature fluctuations and decide if fans or other cooling may be necessary. You don't want to add fish and coral and THEN discover that your daytime temps are peaking at 85 degrees.