PDA

View Full Version : Check this out...

RuyGuy
07/11/2004, 09:17 PM
I tested my reef tank's nitrates the other day. They were at a "healthy" 180. WOO-HOO! :D

I don't think I can get anything in this tank to die.

Thunnus
07/11/2004, 09:19 PM
Wow, nice job neglecting your tank! Why would you want stuff in your tank to die?

RuyGuy
07/11/2004, 09:21 PM
1. Not neglecting it. I put a denitrifying tower on it.
2. I don't want anything in there to die. Most of the fish are over 10 years old. I just meant, I couldn’t get anything to die even if I wanted to.

Thunnus
07/11/2004, 09:23 PM
Ahh you should have said that to begin with. Your first post sounds exactly like I stated. :)

Cannonball888
07/11/2004, 09:24 PM
Unbelievable

RuyGuy
07/11/2004, 09:26 PM
What's so hard to believe? :blown: :D

Ninong
07/11/2004, 09:27 PM
Originally posted by RuyGuy
I tested my reef tank's nitrates the other day. They were at a "healthy" 180. WOO-HOO! :D

I don't think I can get anything in this tank to die.

What exactly do you have in this "reef" tank with 180 ppm NO3? I'm just curious.

:)

keckles
07/11/2004, 09:28 PM
wait, so having really high nitrates is good? oh man, i am doing this all wrong...

;)

RuyGuy
07/11/2004, 09:34 PM
Pretty much every common coral sold in stores except SPS corals.
A few anemones, a pair of Perculas, Chevron Tang, Green Chromis, Squirrel fish, Pistol shrimp, Skunk cleaner's blah blah blah, too much to list. I'll have to take a picture or two.

Wee Man
07/11/2004, 09:35 PM
well wouldnt it be nice to kinda get that under control

RuyGuy
07/11/2004, 09:37 PM
No kids this is not the recommended amount of nitrates. Try to keep 'em fewer than 20. Now play where I can see. :p

RuyGuy
07/11/2004, 09:38 PM
Yea it will be nice now that I got the denitrifying tower.

keckles
07/11/2004, 09:39 PM
how did they get that high? and btw that has to be some kind of record :eek1:

RuyGuy
07/11/2004, 09:41 PM
Because I can't remember the last time I did a water change. lol :lolspin:

RuyGuy
07/11/2004, 09:43 PM
Honestly it truly has to be some sort of record. Especially considering that everything in the tank is thriving. I add new corals all the time and I haven’t lost a single one.

keckles
07/11/2004, 09:45 PM
i wouldn't exactly consider that funny, what is you current tank set up? are you sure you didn't mess up testing it somehow?

RuyGuy
07/11/2004, 09:55 PM
I think it's hilarious! :lolspin:

basic setup info:
This particular tank is a 120 gallon bow front reef tank, refugium (mmm... mud), dual 400 watt metal halide lighting, denitrifying tower, sump, skimmer, calcium reactor.

Positive I didn't mess up testing it. They've been this high for a while. Today they were at a "low" 80.

Ninong
07/11/2004, 09:57 PM
I see you list your occupation as: FarWest Tropical Fish. What's that, an LFS or something?

Your experience in the hobby is 10 years, does that mean you have been running your reef tanks at 180 ppm NO3 all that time?

And what exactly is the purpose of this thread? I'm not sure if you're serious or just trolling for reactions; but if you're an LFS owner or manager, then you're probably serious because I've heard some really strange things from some of those guys and your attitude seems to fit the profile.

I guess the purpose of this thread is to prove that you know better than all those so-called "experts" who recommend water changes and keeping nitrates below triple digits.

Good luck! Whatever works for you, I guess.

Happy Reefing,

:D

RuyGuy
07/11/2004, 10:03 PM
No, wrong, the PURPOSE of this thread to tell a "believe it or not" story.

No, my experience in the hobby for 10 years means I've been in the hobby for ten years.

Far West Tropical Fish is in fact a fish store! :thumbsup:

I really don't see why you're getting rude with me, I find it unnecessary.

Ninong
07/11/2004, 10:06 PM
No kids this is not the recommended amount of nitrates. Try to keep 'em fewer than 20. Now play where I can see. :p

Speaking of rude and condescending comments, I submit the above for consideration.

RuyGuy
07/11/2004, 10:10 PM
Well if they're kids, yes. I do call them kids. :)

His sig says, "Don't listen to me, i am only a kid." I’d guess he's a kid so I addressed him as a kid.

RuyGuy
07/11/2004, 10:12 PM
Anyone else have any believe it or not stories? I know I've got a couple more that I'll tell later.

keckles
07/11/2004, 10:13 PM
so was that some kind of attempt to make fun of my age? because after what you have told us you have no right to make fun of anyone, or say that you have 10 years of experience, because its sad to say but even with my young age and little experience i still seem to know and care more than you about keeping a tank

Micki
07/11/2004, 10:15 PM
Ok, if I may ask a serious question... What test kit do you use? Since you are in the lfs business is there one that you really recommend over another?

If this is really an accurate test number then I would have to say,
#1. That is a good Believe it or not!
#2. You obviously have the knack for reefing!
#3. You go!!!

RuyGuy
07/11/2004, 10:17 PM
Yup you sure seem to know a lot. ;)

I wouldn't be making fun of your age, I'm only 18. I was saying it as kids, to make a joke of teaching a lesson so no one else would follow my ways.

What makes you think I don't "care" about my tanks? My fish are older than dirt.

keckles
07/11/2004, 10:18 PM
what makes me think you do not care about your tank?

every post you have made in this thread, and the fact that you said nobody should follow your ways :rolleye1:

im not trying to be rude, but seriously, having that high of nitrates is not hilarious, nor something to post and brag about

ssheipel
07/11/2004, 10:30 PM
RuyGuy, I got your irony from the first post. :)

RuyGuy
07/11/2004, 10:30 PM
I personally use and recommend Salifert for testing.

You're right Keckles, I don't care a single bit about my tank. That's why I spend thousands of dollars on it and my fish are either close to your age or older than you. Nobody should follow my ways because they are uncommon ways. Yet now with my denitrifying tower I will not do anymore water changes. I treat my other tank with just a Emperor and a skimmer on it just like everyone else. But you see Keckles, there is no reason to change out my water with the equipment I have. If you have a really good reason, PLEASE let me know. Seriously.

RuyGuy
07/11/2004, 10:32 PM
What do you mean ssheipel? Where's the irony? :confused:

michaelmcl47
07/11/2004, 10:34 PM
very interesting for sure...I can run 40 on the nitrates and my PH goes to pot

RuyGuy
07/11/2004, 10:36 PM
How low does your PH go?

keckles
07/11/2004, 10:37 PM
"there is no reason to change out my water with the equipment i have"- i know 180 reasons, and obviously your equipment must not be that good or not working

"i spend thousands of dollars on my tank"- that could have been wasted with such high nitrates

"nobody should follow my ways because they are uncommon"- didn't sound like that in your previous post, sounded like you meant they shouldn't follow you ways because you think they are wrong

once again, these are not intended to be rude statements, just statements to back up my opinion, i do not want to go back and forth all night, that will accomplish nothing, basically we have two very different opinions about each other and the ways to keep a tank, good night and good luck with your tank, i hope everything works out for you

jared

RuyGuy
07/11/2004, 10:42 PM
I don't know if you read it or not but I said I had recently purchased a "denitrifying tower." Do you know what that is and what it does?

No body should follow my ways because they can be dangerous to your average hobbyist. My way works for ME.

Please tell me 10 of your 180 reasons, wait no just tell me 1.

eastshores
07/11/2004, 10:43 PM
A good reason to change water is to continually introduce some of the trace elements that are not usually dosed in the water. I think that most reef animals are incredibly adaptive and robust. Still, the measure of success in a reef is not whether things are simply alive, but rather thriving.

RuyGuy
07/11/2004, 10:45 PM
My fish are thriving very much so. There are additives to help supply the trace elements. I'm going to take some pictures tomorrow just so you can all see this tank.

Poseidon9697
07/11/2004, 10:49 PM
What is a "denitrifying tower" and what does it do?

RuyGuy
07/11/2004, 10:58 PM
In short, a device that helps lower NO3 levels.

eastshores
07/11/2004, 11:08 PM
That was very helpful.. great to see someone of your experience really going the distance.

RuyGuy
07/11/2004, 11:12 PM
:thumbsup: Thanks for the inane comment, please don't post unless you have something worth reading. At least ask a question or add something to the conversation.

PUGroyale
07/11/2004, 11:15 PM
dude...go for 200ppm...or wait...use pepsi for topoff...no , i got it...feed em' frosted flakes....THEY'RE GRRRRRREAT! ...now watch, they'll close this thread for my comments. =)

maxpower2112
07/11/2004, 11:16 PM
In short, a device that helps lower NO3 levels. OHHHH so thats what that is, well now I know. Very insightful, if it lowers your NO3 then why is yours at 180?

RuyGuy
07/11/2004, 11:17 PM
LOL! :lolspin:

All pretty funny, except I'm sure a lot of fish will go for the frosted flakes. :D

maxpower2112
07/11/2004, 11:19 PM
Its flake food, high in calcium.

RuyGuy
07/11/2004, 11:19 PM
SERIOUSLY PEOPLE! READ THE WHOLE THREAD BEFORE YOU POST. I said I RECENTLY added the tower.

Word Key:
Recently: Of, belonging to, or occurring at a time immediately before the present.

Ninong
07/11/2004, 11:20 PM
No need to make a special trip to the store, quality LFS advice is now just a click away.

:lol:

RuyGuy
07/11/2004, 11:22 PM
I haven’t given any advice. :cool:

Thunnus
07/11/2004, 11:30 PM
No body should follow my ways because they can be dangerous to your average hobbyist

What are you, like super reefer? You are going to be humbled the first time your tank crashes.

RuyGuy
07/11/2004, 11:33 PM
I guess you can call me a "super reefer", but that's up to you.

*If* my tank crashes, (which it wont) I'll just have the attitude of "it was good run." This particular tank has been set up for nearly 15 years with the same treatment that it gets now.

-Super Reefer :uzi:

Thunnus
07/11/2004, 11:35 PM
It is pretty clear that you are just trolling for reactions with this thread.

RuyGuy
07/11/2004, 11:38 PM
Of course I want some reactions. That's why it's a "believe it or not" story. The nitrates were at 180! I wasn't looking for someone to be like, "Bleh, 180? That's it. I had 250 the other day."

maxpower2112
07/11/2004, 11:40 PM
My buddy has his nitrates at 250 all the time, he got you beat.

RuyGuy
07/11/2004, 11:42 PM
That is awesome.

maxpower2112
07/11/2004, 11:46 PM
If your 18 that means that you have been keeping these fish since you were 8. Thats harder to belive than your NO3 being 180.

RuyGuy
07/11/2004, 11:48 PM
No actually, someone before me took care of it. I'm the 3rd person. (I've been taking care of them since I was 11)

leheath
07/12/2004, 12:21 AM
I am some reluctant to post to this mostly inane thread, but perhaps I can at least give it some meaning?! I think perhaps a point which is often lost (and if this was the point of the post it was not well expressed and quickly lost!) is that there is almost always more than one way successfully do anything. I have noticed that anytime someone asks a question, there are always numerous experts offering an answer, however, those answers are often in total opposition! As a scientist, my thoughts are that there are way to many uncontrollable/unmeasureable variables in a fish tank to attribute a single parameter to a specific event. Therefore, although many may say 'my nitrates got higher than x and my tank crashed', how can they be sure that the nitrates were the only thing that caused the crash - perhaps there were other contributing factors or the crash was totally unrelated to the nitrate level which just happened to rise at the same time or in response to the crash? I think everyone needs to remember that there are many ways to do things and we should be very careful about basing entire discussion on a single parameter!

Just my $.02 worth - as you can see I don't have much saltwater experience, but have been reading this forum for a while and this is just a comment on what I have noticed. It is neither support for or against RuyGuy or their methods, just an observation....

Sorry for the long post....I will get off my soap box now...:)

vonswedge
07/12/2004, 12:35 AM
Really, I think most of you are pi$$ed because you stress so much about the level of nitates, and this guy gets away with it. Whats the big deal here, his fish arent swimming around upside down or anything.
BTW my ritrates reach 80 with no adverse effects

eastshores
07/12/2004, 12:36 AM
We give ourselves too much credit I think. If you leave a tank with BASIC salt.. temp anywhere between 70-85 F and some live rock.. **** will grow on it. As for RuyGuy.. I was just pointing out that the person obviously was asking you for an explanation of something you already indicated reduced N03 and you replied with as much an answer as the question provided.

You obviously are proud of yourself. That isn't bad, and I think it's great if you have confidence that you can keep things going well despite popular opinion. But, I will take humility over any other trait in people. Judging by your responses thus far, I can only say that I don't think you qualify (as if you cared)

RuyGuy
07/12/2004, 12:50 AM
Well my description about the denitrifying tower wasn't wrong by any means. Actually, there's not much more you need to know about it, unless you're getting ready to buy one. If someone asked you a question like, “What kind of dog is that?� Are you going to tell them every detail of the dog? Who was the first person to breed it? Where did it come from? What is its behavior is like? No, odds are you’re going to say something like, “It’s a German Shepard.� Just because I work at a fish store doesn’t mean I have to go into detail on every question asked.

In other news, I strongly agree with vonswedge and leheath. My opinion on this sort of thing is the same as they both described. I really don't see what it is that works people up. Before you go off using the "neglect" card, try it for yourself. Until you do that or come by my place, observe my tank, and test the water yourself, please refrain from being angry with me.

The only conclusion I can come to is that you (the ones who are upset with me) are just confused. "What he has 180ppm NO3 and his fish are older than my dog and thriving?!?! I DON'T GET IT!"

How do you think the people that wrote the books (AKA “Fish Bibles�) figured out where exactly is the ideal nitrate? I’ll tell you. They had to TRY FOR THEMSELVES.

eastshores
07/12/2004, 01:14 AM
I'm not one of those that said you neglected your tank.. but you would agree that your answer wasn't all that much of an answer right? You so much as spelled out the word De-Nitrifying.. so how was your "in short" summary any more information that you already gave. I don't care if you work at a fish shop, the fact is, there are a lot of people that try to help others on here every day, most of which don't work at LFS and most of which have decent experiences to govern the advice they give. You don't have to give details.. but why reply at all when you have nothing to add to a question?

RuyGuy
07/12/2004, 01:20 AM
Well that's what it is. I don't know what more you want me to tell you. I mean the name itself makes it pretty self explanatory. Who cares anyways about that, as far as I see it it's between me and the guy who asked me. Seriously there's not much more I could tell you about it unless the questions got more specific.

eastshores
07/12/2004, 01:24 AM
How about how it works? Comon' guy? Use a little common sense, this isn't a court of law. How about a short summary of the device, and how it works.. or a link to somewhere that has information on it? You could also elaborate on why you think it is necassary since you describe yourself to be doing very well with high nitrates.. why change a good thing?

RuyGuy
07/12/2004, 01:30 AM
WOW. I never portrayed high nitrates as a good thing. That's why I got a denitrifying tower in the first place! Come on guy, seriously. Talk about using a little common sense. He asked me what it is and what it does. I answered both questions. If you really feel like people need to know the details of this device, please feel free to write a report. Will you feel better then? Get over it man.

If someone asked me what a computer is and how it works I'm not going to tell them how to balance their checkbooks too. I think this ends the whole answering the denitrifying tower question. Please stop talking about it. That's not what this thread's for.

eastshores
07/12/2004, 01:36 AM
Wonderfully stated.. im off to bed so im afraid that is it for me. Have fun discussing your high params and how they are ok.. and how they aren't and how no one should challenge it, but that you are changing it.

RuyGuy
07/12/2004, 01:59 AM
I'm sitting here scratching my head. I recommend this book for you: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0070259194/qid=1089615368/sr=1-13/ref=sr_1_13/104-6585058-9109547?v=glance&s=books Please buy it and read it before you post again.

Xx_de_xX
07/12/2004, 02:09 AM
aaaaaaaaaahahahahah

This thread is halarious!

jnichols
07/12/2004, 08:52 AM
RuyGuy,

There are a few things that I have come away with from this thread:

First: You are 18 years old (with 10 years of experience) :confused:

Second: You have 180 Nitrates and are bragging about your ten years of experience :hmm2:

Third: You need a denitrifying tower (sound like something that I have heard from the LFS) :blown:

Fourth: You have proven your ignorance of the hobby by the pathetic words you have spoken

golfish
07/12/2004, 09:26 AM
I'll have to take a picture or two.

I'd like to see it

brahm
07/12/2004, 10:45 AM
RuyGuy your so witty, your my hero.

MiddletonMark
07/12/2004, 02:58 PM
A picture is worth a thousand words. Without pics, this `believe it or not' has zero evidence.

Not very convincing. In fact, I don't even believe you have 180 nitrates, 10 years of experience, or even have a tank.

I've seen no proof of any of that. As far as I can tell, you have frilly green hair and live under a bridge.

MiddletonMark
07/12/2004, 02:58 PM
double post :o

wumpett
07/12/2004, 03:44 PM
The creatures we put in in our tanks have thrived for a more than 15 years in NSW. Most of us here try to mimic the conditions these creatures have thrived in so as to enshore they continue to thrive. But you know... If it works... Why "Fix" it.

What is the history of your Nirate levels. How high has it been for how long. How quickly has the tower reduced your nitrates to 80.

My nitrate got to 40 about 2 months after my tank was running. I must say that I didn't see any ill affects because of this but I will not let it get that high again. I try to mimic NSW. Its worked so far.

Good Luck

MasiisaM22
07/12/2004, 06:03 PM
Ruy guy….

You are the very reason I do all my own research … Never will I take what the “Kid� says at the LFS…

Please….

Do all of us a favor and don’t pass your nonsense onto innocent people that walk into your place of employment that your levels are at an acceptable level of 180. Not to worry about water changes Etc Etc……..As all tanks are different and you stating that will confused people and lead them down an incorrect path.

Wow..Come to think of it..If I was the owner of the store and knew an employee was using my shop name and being rude and inconclusive to potential customers that have legitimate questions about your so called “De-nitrifying tower�

I would fire him on the spot…..HUH…….Wonder what your boss would do??

Thunnus
07/12/2004, 07:05 PM
I cant wait for this dude to get home from his pet shop and start spouting off at the mouth about how his vast experience (as an 18 yr old) proves us all wrong!

Peabody
07/12/2004, 09:11 PM
I always tell people that when you're 18 you know everything and are always right. I know I was! (Then I grew up!) I think this is case in point.

Micki
07/12/2004, 09:30 PM
So mind if I out a suggestion in the suggestion box??? Could we please stop this thread now? Every one has their opinion and no one will be right (at least according to someone other than themselves). I get an e-mail everytime someone adds a comment, lets call it a night ok???
Thanks...

shred5
07/12/2004, 09:40 PM
Common this guy is messing with everyone.

Dave

hammerhead
07/12/2004, 09:44 PM
LOL He's just tryin to get a rise out of everyone.

RuyGuy
07/12/2004, 10:18 PM
jnichols, all your comments were either inane or wrong.

Yes I'm 18 years old and have been doing this since I was 8. Then, being the detective that you are, you reinstated that I've been doing this for 10 years once again, and that I'm "bragging" about it.

Then you said that i said that you "need" a denitrifying tower. I never told ANYONE that. I said that I got one. Go back to school.

"There are a few things that I have come away with from this thread:

First: You are 18 years old (with 10 years of experience)

Second: You have 180 Nitrates and are bragging about your ten years of experience

Third: You need a denitrifying tower (sound like something that I have heard from the LFS)

Fourth: You have proven your ignorance of the hobby by the pathetic words you have spoken"

MasiisaM22,
Maybe you should go take a warm shower, come back here when you're calm and try to read this thread again. I never ONCE recommended people's nitrates to be this high nor did I say it was a good thing that mine are this high.

Also, I shouldn't be the reason you should do your own research. Anyone with any common sense would do their own research. Who doesn't do their own research? Honestly.

And thirdly,
You probably didn't read it but I did answer the question the guy had about the denitrifying tower. Move the mouse to the different pages of this thread, it's like magic.
To everyone,
It's not a matter of me being right or wrong. The fact is that my NO3 levels were at 180 and everything was perfectly healthy. End of story.

jdieck
07/12/2004, 10:28 PM
Wow!

LobsterOfJustice
07/12/2004, 10:33 PM
How did this get to be an argument? Most people constantly talk about how nitrates should be low, and he tested his and they were at 180. He obviously thinks they should be lower because he bought a device to lower them, but just thought he'd share his were at 180. He never said he'd reccomend this, he never said this is where they should be. So what if his discription of a denitrifying tower was weak? He doesn't seem to be the one starting disagreements...

That said, I am looking foreward to pictures of what I am sure is a successful reef tank.

RuyGuy
07/12/2004, 10:35 PM
brahm, what's a "so witty?" :lolspin: What about my "so witty?" :D

Amber Nussbaum
07/12/2004, 10:56 PM
Ruy Guy, got any photos?

Yose
07/12/2004, 11:02 PM
I'm amazed... Since I've been on RC I've learned something useful in every thread I've opened until now.

FWIW,IRL,IMHO The mods should kill this thread. This is not what RC is about.

Petro
07/12/2004, 11:21 PM
Ok, just so you all know this guy posted not too long ago in the "New to the hobby forum"

He made up some other weird story about having like 25 fish in a 100 gallon aquarium and not having done a water change in 6 years or something, as well as stating he has no protein skimmer or other filtration.

He is in fact trying to get a rise out of all of us again,

So why don't we just stop posting in this thread b/c it's just lowering our IQ and wasting our time.

(Yes he also claims he runs and LFS, which none of us in the new to the hobby forum ended up beleiving after his crazed rantings and faliure to back up anything with pics or other solid evidence)

Voila

Have a great night guys

golfish
07/12/2004, 11:27 PM
We should all take advice with a grain of salt. I kind of think this is what RC is about. If the kids info is correct then maybe everybody will learn something.

I don't think its a good idea to mouth off and also tell people where you work.:rolleyes:

colinh
07/12/2004, 11:38 PM
Now this is funny. Seen people like this on other boards but never anywhere like this. Where can I get one of these towers? Hook me up?? Hehe.

RuyGuy
07/12/2004, 11:41 PM
"He made up some other weird story about having like 25 fish in a 100 gallon aquarium and not having done a water change in 6 years or something, as well as stating he has no protein skimmer or other filtration."

No actually I said I had an oversize wet/dry. Which is true, and I guess I'll have to take pics of that too. (I'll have the pics of this tank up on the net before I go to bed.)

I never claimed that I "run" a LFS. I said that I WORK at one. If you don't believe me, just stop by anytime. I’d be glad to show you the tanks.
I really don't care if any of you believe me or not. Why take it to offence if you don't belive someone? You want your "hard evidence," so either you come in or I'll show you some pics. I only have pics of the reef tank so I'll have to take some pics of the FO tank tomorrow.

xcreonx
07/12/2004, 11:45 PM
Where in So Cal do you work?

xcreonx
07/13/2004, 12:00 AM
So, 18years old with a 15 year old fish tank huh?

if i'm not mistaken, your website (http://www.ruyguy.20m.com/About.htm) says several times you are 14, attend Murrieta Valley High School and have a "45 gallon fish tank. It has "Convicts" and "Rainbow Chiliclids."" ......what are "Chiliclids"?

interesting!

you design websites? you designed "http://www.foul.20m.com/"?

Hmmmmm.... it clearly states in the code that Moshe Bergman designed this site:

"meta name="author" content="Moshe Bergman"" And your name is Ryan....

also, real web designers don't use Microsoft Frontpage to design sites professionally... "meta name="GENERATOR" content="Microsoft FrontPage 4.0"" <--from your own webpage source code.

HAHAHAHAHA!!! :lol: :lol:

thanks! i was feeling down tonight and needed a laugh!

RuyGuy
07/13/2004, 12:08 AM
Why don't you look at the dates on the time I uploaded that website. What was that? 2000? Last I checked its 2004. Look at the dates do the math and wow, yup still 18. I posted that site about 4 years ago. Genius.

No I didn't design foul.20m.com. But if you want to see what I have designed just go to http://www.fd.150m.com, the new "ruyguy" site is www.ruyguy15.150m.com You can also check out http://fd.150m.com/retched.html http://fd.150m.com/troy.html http://fd.150m.com/new.htm http://fd.150m.com/retched.html . But uh, what does that have to do with ANYTHING? Oh that's right, it doesn't.

Poseidon9697
07/13/2004, 12:08 AM
ops

Papa Funk
07/13/2004, 12:10 AM
LOL...I guarantee we shall never see any pix...if they are they are other peoples tanks...c'mon lets see that chiliclid tank I bet the denitrifying tower works miracles in there...post another thread when you grow up (and I don't mean physically).

Xx_de_xX
07/13/2004, 12:10 AM
Originally posted by xcreonx
So, 18years old with a 15 year old fish tank huh?

if i'm not mistaken, your website (http://www.ruyguy.20m.com/About.htm) says several times you are 14, attend Murrieta Valley High School and have a "45 gallon fish tank. It has "Convicts" and "Rainbow Chiliclids."" ......what are "Chiliclids"?

interesting!

you design websites? you designed "http://www.foul.20m.com/"?

Hmmmmm.... it clearly states in the code that Moshe Bergman designed this site:

"meta name="author" content="Moshe Bergman"" And your name is Ryan....

also, real web designers don't use Microsoft Frontpage to design sites professionally... "meta name="GENERATOR" content="Microsoft FrontPage 4.0"" <--from your own webpage source code.

HAHAHAHAHA!!! :lol: :lol:

thanks! i was feeling down tonight and needed a laugh!

You make me sick..

xcreonx
07/13/2004, 12:11 AM
'you make me sick..."

Good post!

K9
07/13/2004, 12:14 AM
also, real web designers don't use Microsoft Frontpage to design sites professionally... Nope! We sure don't. We use Macromedia and Adobe Products exclusively :thumbsup:. Frontpage is your grandpa's Web design software :lol:.

Freakin' awesome detective work xcreonx :thumbsup:! I'm quite honestly very surprised that a Mod hasn't closed, let alone even posted in this thread yet. Hmm, maybe they're enjoying this circus from a distance ;).

xcreonx
07/13/2004, 12:16 AM
:rollface: Us designers need to stick together and defend our own

RuyGuy
07/13/2004, 12:20 AM
Why don't you look at the dates on the time I uploaded that website. What was that? 2000? Last I checked its 2004. Look at the dates do the math and wow, yup still 18. I posted that site about 4 years ago. Genius.

No I didn't design foul.20m.com. But if you want to see what I have designed just go to http://www.fd.150m.com, the new "ruyguy" site is www.ruyguy15.150m.com You can also check out http://fd.150m.com/retched.html http://fd.150m.com/troy.html http://fd.150m.com/new.htm http://fd.150m.com/retched.html . But uh, what does that have to do with ANYTHING? Oh that's right, it doesn't.

http://ruyguy15.150m.com/tank1.jpg
http://ruyguy15.150m.com/tank2.jpg
http://ruyguy15.150m.com/tank3.jpg
http://ruyguy15.150m.com/tank4.jpg
http://ruyguy15.150m.com/tank5.jpg
http://ruyguy15.150m.com/tank6.jpg
http://ruyguy15.150m.com/tank7.jpg

Xx_de_xX
07/13/2004, 12:20 AM
'you make me sick..."

Good post!

You're so awesome that you called someone out on something. I'm glad you got your jollies.

RuyGuy
07/13/2004, 12:21 AM
Off the subject: Actually I use photoshop for the "design" and frontpage just to compile it. Now let's see your stuff, "designers."

Papa Funk
07/13/2004, 12:21 AM
Your pictures don't work...like your lies...

Xx_de_xX
07/13/2004, 12:22 AM

http://ruyguy15.150m.com/tank1.jpg
http://ruyguy15.150m.com/tank2.jpg
http://ruyguy15.150m.com/tank3.jpg
http://ruyguy15.150m.com/tank4.jpg
http://ruyguy15.150m.com/tank5.jpg
http://ruyguy15.150m.com/tank6.jpg
http://ruyguy15.150m.com/tank7.jpg

Hotlinking isn't allowed.. upload the pictures here on RC.

Poseidon9697
07/13/2004, 12:22 AM
Where are the pics? I get an error.

RuyGuy
07/13/2004, 12:23 AM
hmm...let me try a non-crappy server...

xcreonx
07/13/2004, 12:25 AM
or try a basic html tag:

start the phrase with an <

then: img src="http://www.yourdomain/picture.jpg"

and end with an >

piece of cake.

RuyGuy
07/13/2004, 12:27 AM
150m doesnt allow me to do that, I'm uploading them on another server right now...

aujay
07/13/2004, 12:27 AM
Please spare me any verbal attacks or comments on my lack of expertise in the subject because I have only been in the hobby a couple of weeks, but I have a strong science and biology background, and feel like I've got a pretty good grasp on most of the important concepts.

I bought a previously owned tank and got it home to find out from my best calculations and doing the math with percentages of water changes that my nitrates were in excess of 200 ppm. I wasn't happy they were this high, but I saw no significant ill effects to the fish or the corals. The soft corals were actually growing and spreading, so they weren't THAT adversely affected by the nutrients. Again, don't read this as I'm endorsing having nitrates over 200 unless you like the look of algae blooms :).

One issue that has yet to be mentioned is that ionized toxins like nitrate and nitrite have a toxicity that varies with pH because as more hydrogen ions are available the concentration of ionized versus unionized ions changes, and usually the compound is more toxic in one of the two forms, usually ionized. You could probably get away with a little higher nitrate if you had a parallel drop in pH that would favor a higher HNO3/N03- concentration, whereas a higher pH would favor more of the ionized NO3- form. This would make sense in a tank with lots of organic wastes since most wastes are acidic, releasing more hydrogen ions to protonate the NO3-, forming more HNO3.

I think an important point RuyGuy made was that fish are surprisingly hardy and tolerable of adverse conditions especially if brought on slowly and they are allowed to acclimate. I am new to saltwater, but I have learned the important lesson from years and years of freshwater that patience is key in all aquaria and that sometimes the quick fix or rash reaction to a bad test reading can be as or more detrimental to the fish. I think nitrates being a little high would be better than say doing a 80% water change and have a instantaneous .4 pH change and significant alkalinity change. I think everyone should just calm down a little and maybe learn a lesson from RuyGuys mistakes. Remember, some of the people that were able to make great strides in technology and sciences were those that were able to question the rules and go against the grain and what the concensus believed, and maybe RuyGuy is just trying to say that maybe nitrates aren't as toxic as everyone thinks they are.

Oh, and by the way, after lots of water changes and some macro-algae, my nitrates are down under 10 ppm.

RuyGuy
07/13/2004, 12:30 AM
http://www.andresbecerra.com/ShackUpload/Files/Tank1.jpg

http://www.andresbecerra.com/ShackUpload/Files/Tank2.jpg

http://www.andresbecerra.com/ShackUpload/Files/Tank3.jpg

http://www.andresbecerra.com/ShackUpload/Files/Tank4.jpg

http://www.andresbecerra.com/ShackUpload/Files/Tank5.jpg

http://www.andresbecerra.com/ShackUpload/Files/Tank6.jpg

http://www.andresbecerra.com/ShackUpload/Files/Tank7.jpg

Papa Funk
07/13/2004, 12:32 AM
So this guy put pictures from the store he works at up and expects us to believe it is his tank...redicarus...

Papa Funk
07/13/2004, 12:33 AM
ps...I bet you got beat up in high school

RuyGuy
07/13/2004, 12:33 AM
Um, my dad owns the store guy.

RuyGuy
07/13/2004, 12:34 AM
BTW, that's not me in the picture, that's my buddy David.
________________________________________-

aujay, you couldn't be more right.

Papa Funk
07/13/2004, 12:34 AM
So this is actually not YOUR tank...it is your daddy's

RuyGuy
07/13/2004, 12:35 AM
Well by law yes it's my daddys but he no touchy.

Papa Funk
07/13/2004, 12:40 AM
What do you mean by law... did he pay for it, does he own the shop, than by all meaningful definitions it IS his tank...I may have to call this shop tomorrow and speak to the manager and tell him you are probably ruining his business...you've said what you have to say and posted pictures of someone elses tank as your own and wasted our time so goodnight and as I said before grow up...

PF

RuyGuy
07/13/2004, 12:43 AM
http://www.andresbecerra.com/ShackUpload/Files/memory.jpg

xcreonx
07/13/2004, 12:44 AM
:Yawn:

Time for bed. Gotta work tomorrow, no summer vacation for me...

Goodnight fellas.

Xx_de_xX
07/13/2004, 12:44 AM
Originally posted by Papa Funk
What do you mean by law... did he pay for it, does he own the shop, than by all meaningful definitions it IS his tank...I may have to call this shop tomorrow and speak to the manager and tell him you are probably ruining his business...you've said what you have to say and posted pictures of someone elses tank as your own and wasted our time so goodnight and as I said before grow up...

PF

:rolleyes:

RuyGuy
07/13/2004, 12:45 AM
lol in what way shape or form have I "ruined" our business?

Xx_de_xX
07/13/2004, 12:47 AM
I posted a thread (a joke thread) on here some time back about having a hundred gallon tank set up with copper return lines and things like that.. pretty much everything you can't do with a reef tank, I did it in this thread. Needless to say.. it didn't go over well. People are far too uptight on this site sometimes

RuyGuy
07/13/2004, 12:50 AM
Yes, very uptight, but I'm not posting this as a joke thread. This is the truth. The pics speak for themselves.

TXReefer
07/13/2004, 02:01 AM
Yes, very uptight, but I'm not posting this as a joke thread. This is the truth. The pics speak for themselves.

The pics speak for themselves? Are they saying "man aren't we ugly"? This is a sub-par tank and I hope it is not the tank you brag high nitrate about. :lmao:

pufferdude
07/13/2004, 02:05 AM
interesting thread and pretty entertaining I might add!

RuyGuy
07/13/2004, 02:11 AM
1. There's no need for your name calling.
2. In what way's this tank "sub-par"
3. I never "bragged" about the high NO3 levels.
4. The pic isn't me.
4. Let's have you post your picture of yourself.
5. Let's have you post a picture of your tank also, I'd love to see it.
6. Actually he's a model for a clothing company and he gets more tang than you ever will. I seriously doubt you have a GF/wife. Going on the internet and letting people know how hot or not other men are.:worried:
7. Now go make big bucks supporting your family in "sales."

RuyGuy
07/13/2004, 02:28 AM
Q: Is the tank mine?
A: No, it's my boss's.

Q: Is your dad the owner?
A: Lol! No.

Q: Were the nitrates really at 180ppm with everything doing fine?
A: Yes

Q: Do you really have 10 years of experience at the age of 18?
A: Yes

Q: So that tank really does get water changes?
A: No it honestly hasn't been changed in almost a year.

Q: Why did you lie about the tank being yours?
A: I felt that with me saying it was my boss's tank the story would hold no interest. So by saying it's my tank it has more relevance.

Q: Why is Strongbad so awesome?
A: I don't know

Khysanth
07/13/2004, 02:41 AM
Actually, i'm going to have to go against the grain and agree with RuyGuy here.

I may be new to the hobby, but my nitrate levels have been spiking lately and i've seen no adverse effects on my fish or inverts in the tank. Also, a lot of you are miscontruing what he is saying. I've read this entire thread (yes, it did take about 30 minutes of my life away, but I digress...) and he never said that high NO3 levels are a good thing. He wasn't even bragging. In fact, if you'd read his posts, he's clearly spelled out all of his intentions throughout the thread. It was basically a "Hey, check this out, a bizarre story!"

Anyway, just my 2 cents.

And my girlfriend thinks that guy is good looking. Now I'm jealous.

Habib
07/13/2004, 04:26 AM
Actually, i'm going to have to go against the grain and agree with RuyGuy here.

Because Khysanth = RuyGuy.

Thanks for waisting everybodies time and RC bandwidth with this thread, the exploding nano thread and perhaps a few more.

You have taken disadvantage of the helpfulness of the RC members. :(

Time for you to move on.

Thread closed unless this forum's moderators decide that it should be opened again.