PDA

View Full Version : A Mantis Family in my tank???????

dsp78213
07/10/2004, 09:04 PM
Well, I thought I only had one . . . I got him/her this morning.

Just used a net; pretty easy. This one is probably 2-2.5" Then, I spotted another one; quite a bit smaller and not nearly as bold.

They shared the same rock; the same holes. This and the fact that the second absolutly refuses to leave the rock caused me to wonder if they were a pair.

And what possible reason would one venture out and the other guard the rock???????????????

Well, I think I got my answer. While looking around for momma??? I saw two very little mantis eyes peeking out of a little hole. :eek2: :eek2: :eek2:

What should I do? I will get momma out but then what? What kind of problem am I walking into with this family.

dsp

SeanT
07/11/2004, 10:13 PM
Can I have them?
I will pay for shipping or trade some coral frags.

Maxxumless
07/11/2004, 10:18 PM
Originally posted by SeanT
Can I have them?

LOL...

You can always try this trap and see what happens.

http://www.tampabaysaltwater.com/images/mantistrap-websize.jpg

dsp78213
07/12/2004, 07:43 AM
Originally posted by Maxxumless
LOL...

You can always try this trap and see what happens.

http://www.tampabaysaltwater.com/images/mantistrap-websize.jpg

I have tried that. She comes out of her hole . . . . looks at the trap . . . looks at me . . . . laughs and goes back in her hole.

I hate her.

dsp

dsp78213
07/12/2004, 07:46 AM
Can I have them?

Sure, I don't want to kill them. I have the larger in my soon to be set up refugium. I will try and get the other out ASAP.

Send me a PM with your address and if you pay for shipping, I'll get them to you. I would love some frags, but my system is about 3 months from being ready to host corals.

Thanks

dsp

Dexter1334
07/12/2004, 08:05 AM
The little ones are hard to catch,They never seem to leave their holes. On the other hand they don;t do any damage.
I have several small ones in my 125 gal community tank and they haven't bothered anything.
When they get big enough to be a problem , thay are also more bold and easier to catch which works out well. I have an adult in my 40 with some crabs and shellfish and snails and he just eats the shrimp I feed my snowflake eel and hasn't been a problem.
I also have an adult sharing a ten gallon with a couple of crabs and snails and they seem to ignore each other and have been doing well for several months.

SeanT
07/12/2004, 01:32 PM
PM sent. :)

dsp78213
07/16/2004, 09:39 PM
PM sent. :)

SeanT-

PM sent . . I got the other one :D . Haven't seen the little one in a while but I'm sure its in there.

I'll probably leave the little one in there.

Send me a note on how you want me to ship them. I've never done it before.

Jim

SeanT
07/17/2004, 03:56 AM
Note sent.

Thanks. :)