PDA

View Full Version : Need help!

Catfishd
07/10/2004, 08:07 PM
I have made a mistake that I am wondering if it is beyond repair. I have a 215 and used some LR out of a system I bought that had star polyps on the rock. I have zoo's, clams and lots and lots of SPS and ricordia. But the star polyps are beyond control. Is there a way to kill them without tearing down the tank and just removing every piece of LR with the star polyps on them. Can I slowly kill them off? Please any help would be grateful.

Flipturn88
07/10/2004, 08:13 PM
some people say you can "peel" them off. but I have never tried. Maybe a razor blade/credit card would work if they were on the glass or another flat surface.

Cakepro
07/10/2004, 08:14 PM
In my experience, star polyps tend to pull off of rock in a thick rubbery mat fairly easily with a pair of hemostats and patience. :)

~ Sherri

Dz99ls
07/10/2004, 08:16 PM
yes all you would need to do is peel back the mat and frag em i would say that you may be able kill em with kalk paste

Catfishd
07/10/2004, 08:19 PM
I have always heard you could pull them off the rock I don't mind them growing on the back glass but they have swallowed some nice montipora and acro and it is time for them to die. I want every little star polyp removed from that tank just not sure how me removing every rock is going to upset the system that has not been touched for 9 months. It is just sickening and its like they just came out of nowhere and just exploded.

Cakepro
07/10/2004, 08:21 PM
Unless your canopy is built or situated that you can't stand on a chair and put your arm down in your tank, you wouldn't have to remove any rocks. Just pick an edge of the star polyps up with the hemos and start to slowly peel. I don't bother taking rock out of the tank for this type of removal.

~ Sherri

Catfishd
07/10/2004, 08:41 PM
Hmmm My tank top stands at about 7.5ft I use a ladder I will give it a shot but man I would be peeling for half a day easy. I will let you know how it goes.

Catfishd
07/10/2004, 09:16 PM
Bah I can pull some off but not all I am sick to my stomach how I can be so stupid to put them in that tank.

aLittletank
07/10/2004, 09:50 PM
can you cover them with anything to kill them off (clam shells for instance)

as far as pulling the rock... the bright side is now you get to rescape it the way want to :rolleyes:

Allen

Catfishd
07/10/2004, 10:35 PM
I guess I am going to pull the rock out of water let it die off and recycle it in my 115 :(