PDA

View Full Version : A Constitutional Vote - Please read

Mal3
07/09/2004, 11:21 PM
I think you should all be aware that there will be a vote Wednesday this week on the constitutional amendment regarding marriage. Here is an email I sent to Senator Arlen Specter. I suggest you let him know how you feel. You may copy my email if you wish.

I share my view as a means of information. I do not wish to offend anyone who may not agree.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear Senator Specter,

I want to inform you that I would like you to vote in favor of the Federal Marriage Amendment - H.J. Res 56.

I believe that gays and lesbians have a right to live as they choose. But I do not believe they have a right to redefine marriage for our entire society. The purpose of marriage is for the creation of children between men and women. I want our laws to send a positive message to our community, families, children and everyone about marriage, family and their future. My wife and I have been married for 22 years.

The constitutional problem created by almost a decade of activist lawsuits to destroy our marriage laws demands a constitutional fix in order to protect the common sense view of marriage. This issue is extremely important to our moral fiber as a society.

I felt it extremely important to tell you of my opinion, and ask that you vote in favor of the Federal Marriage Amendment in representation of my view.

Thank you very much

C. Malcolm Smith, III, CPA
ADDRESS
Phone Number

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Federal Marriage Amendment - H. J. Res 56

"Article --

"SECTION 1. Marriage in the United States shall consist only of the union of a man and a woman. Neither this Constitution or the constitution of any State, nor state or federal law, shall be construed to require that marital status or the legal incidents thereof be conferred upon unmarried couples or groups."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mal3
07/09/2004, 11:35 PM
Greetings,

Thank you for taking the time to contact me.

I receive a large volume of E-mails, phone calls, faxes and letters every week from concerned citizens like yourself. By following these simple steps, you will help me respond to your concerns in a more prompt and efficient manner.

To better serve the citizens of Pennsylvania, I have updated my website to better inform you of my activities in the Senate. The website will provide insight on the activities we're undertaking on major issue areas in the Senate and my position on these matters, a travel itinerary of my upcoming visits around the State of Pennsylvania, and contact information with regard to constituent concerns that need to be addressed. For information, please visit the website at HYPERLINK "http://www.http://specter.senate.gov"www.http://specter.senate.gov. I look forward to hearing from you.

— IMMEDIATE ACTION ITEMS: To respond to your time sensitive concerns, please contact the Washington office or the state office in your area.

— Scheduling Matters: Please contact our Washington office by faxing your request to our fax line (202) 228-1229.

— Constituent Services: i.e. DC Tourism, Internships, Flag Requests, and Academy Nominations, please access my website. You may also submit your tour request to our tour line (202) 224-5860.

— Casework: (Passport/Visa issue, Social Security claims, etc.). Please contact the state office in your area.

– Philadelphia (215) 597-7200

– Pittsburgh (412) 644-3400

– Harrisburg (717) 782-3951

– Scranton (540) 346-2006

– Allentown (610) 434-1444

– Erie (814) 453-3010

–Wilkes Barre (570) 826?6265

In the very near future, you will be able to sign up in our constituent data base created especially for you, and receive an on line copy of "Arlen Specter Speaks." This newsletter will provide the most current and up-to-date information of my work in the Senate relative to the State of Pennsylvania.

Sincerely,

Arlen Specter

Mal3
07/09/2004, 11:37 PM
I will be calling the office

zooqi
07/13/2004, 12:47 AM
Thanks for sharing your letter. I still don't know exactly what is going on concerning constitutional amendment regarding marriage in DC. Don't we have constitutional amendment regarding marriage ?
Thanks
Mo

Tagamet
07/15/2004, 12:51 AM
Originally posted by zooqi
Thanks for sharing your letter. I still don't know exactly what is going on concerning constitutional amendment regarding marriage in DC. Don't we have constitutional amendment regarding marriage ?
Thanks
Mo The consitiutional ammendment would define marriage as a union of one male with one female. It would cover all of the states in the US. It would not necessarily eliminate "civil unions" between same sex couples, which could be done on a state by state basis (which could be it's own set of problems), but would afford those couples of legal rights reserved for traditionally married couples (ie inheritance, insurance etc), but NOT the label MARRIED. From what I read of Mal's letter, I agree with his stance, but as devil's advocate, it's only recently that states allowed interracial marriages. A very sticky issue (no pun intended). If the state passes a law about same sex marriages, could you get married to your daughter (or your son)? Is inter species marriage next? (I really do love my fuzzy swarf lionfish, but that's be a bit much)
I guess this is pretty officially OFF TOPIC.
Just my two cents.
Tagamet

zooqi
07/22/2004, 01:43 PM
Thanks Tag for the info. Great, now I know what people at the bar were talking about :D ..