PDA

View Full Version : PH effect on skimming - reverse lit tank

shellshocked
07/06/2004, 09:53 PM
I have three tanks all plumbed together. One in the living area is set to have the lights on during the day. The other two are set to have the lights come on at night. Supposedly this helps reduce PH swings in the tanks.

Here is my question - since doing this my protein skimmer output has dropped dramatically. I have checked the protein skimmer, cleaned it, changed pumps, etc... so I am fairly confident the skimmer is functioning properly. Should I be concerned? The tanks appear to be doing well (actually the same as before I reversed the lighting). Could a stabilization in the PH affect the skimmate production of my skimmer? I have an aquaC EV120.

Randy Holmes-Farley
07/07/2004, 07:21 AM
The other two are set to have the lights come on at night. Supposedly this helps reduce PH swings in the tanks.

Yes, it should. I have my refugium reverse lit for that reason.

I wouldn't be concerned too much about skimmer output if it is plumbed correctly. While some folks think that skimmers work better at higher pH, I'm not sure if that is true or not, and I do not think that is a reason to have a higher pH swing.

What pH range does the tank system go through now?