PDA

View Full Version : New 180gal tank

Saltywater
07/06/2004, 08:06 PM
I am in the process of pluming my new 180gal tank. I would like to reuse the two small sumps that I currently have. The sizes are as follows 21gal and 31 gal.

I want to connect the two sump's using a small piece of flex tubing. The water would flow between the two just by water pressure. The one sump will house the Euro-Reef skimmer and pump the other one will house other misc. equipment and will house the return from the chiller. That would give me a total 52gal of sump capacity. The return to the main tank would be out of the second sump. Can this be done or should I buy a new sump?

Thanks
Saltywater

endymion
07/06/2004, 09:34 PM
You dont want to rely on water pressure, water should flow easily through a sump. The problem is if the connection between the two gets clogged up you will have a possible big mess and/or a dead pump from being run dry.

Yes you can have redundent holes and pipes between tanks but you will need to do more drilling and purchase bulkheads etc. Multi-tank sumps generally are for people cant fit or wedge in a single larger tank under their stand.

Spend $50 - $80 and get a single tank for a sump instead, like a 40g breeder or larger tank.

BTW - I got my second custom oceanic 180G (brick bracing, single center back overflow) on order. I decided to go with a oceanic model 3 sump (without the additional add ons). It essentially a shorter 58G, at approx. 50G. It runs less then $150, but comes with two predrilled holes for pumps, a baffle, etc. Its made of pretty heavy duty glass.

Saltywater
07/07/2004, 09:07 AM
I would be more willing to purchase a new sump if it was only $50 - $80. I paid over $100 for the 31gal sump. Plus after just spending over $5000.00 for the new 180gal setup money is kinda tight right now.

endymion
07/07/2004, 09:44 AM
Either buy a 40G breeder and add some acrylic baffles or use your largest sump now and save some money up till you can get a larger sump.

Saltywater
07/07/2004, 10:02 AM
Thanks for your input endymion.

BTW- Congrats on the new tank. I just picked my AGA 180gal up last week. I also picked up the custome stand for it the stand is 72"x24"x43" and the canopy is 72"x24"x21".

endymion
07/07/2004, 11:58 AM
Outside of the tank and sump, what will you be running?

For me...

I got a month or more to wait for my tank to come in. I got the standard cherry oak oceanic stand. Extra height would have been nice but it since this is a "stop-gap" tank for a few years till I get my dream tank setup, I didn't want to spend the extra cash.

I did not want bracing to get in the way of the lights of cleaning so I got the brick style. Which means thicker glass then the stock Oceanic 180G.

lights - 4 x Geisemann Nova II pendants, 250W 14.5K DE
sump - Oceanic model 3 modified with small refugium.
return pump - Velocity T4 (low flow through sump)
chiller - Aqualogic DeltaStar 1/4hp (from an old setup, will be close but should be enough)
skimmer - Euro-reef CS6-2+ (from an old setup), going for less skimming this time around.
water movement - 2 x Tunze 6100 Streams and 2 x 7200 Turbelles connected to a 7094 multi-controller.
Aquacontroller 2 - ph, orp, temp
Calcium Reactor - PM 622 with M3 regulator and 10lb CO2 tank
Top Off - Tunze Osmolator with Kalkwasser

substrate - ~2" of aragonite
~200lbs of fiji liverock to start

I got a total of 3 dedicated circuits for running this tank. Which is overkill but when you got access to an electrician its easy to over do it ;)

Saltywater
07/07/2004, 01:40 PM
So far the tank will consist of the following.

Return pump: Dolphine Ampmaster 2100
Heater: Titanium GX300
Lighting: Auquaspacelight with 3/250w 10K and 4 24w PC.
Chiller flow pump: Mag Drive 7
Chiller: Arctica Titanium 1/3hp
Skimmer: Euro-Reef RS8-2
Water Movement: 4 Maxi-jet 1200's on a Natural Wave timer.
Sump 31gal (will need to be upgraded only able to fit skimmer and skimmer pump in it no room for chiller pump or heater)

180lbs of Live Sand about 2 1/2 inches
180lbs of Live Rock to start (Not sure of what type yet.)

Tank will have a dedicated vent that is on a thermostat. When the temp goes above 78 in the hood the vent fan will turn on and expel the hot air out side. The tank will have 4 to 5 dedicated circuits depending on what the electrician recommends. This tank is part of the house remodel.

Temperature is being monitored by the chiller and also a Pinpoint Wireless Thermometer in the main show tank.

Calcium Reactor - Undecided
Top Off - Undecided.