PDA

View Full Version : Are Rubbermaid 'garbage cans' good for water storage?

BigShot
07/06/2004, 04:18 PM
I'm wondering if the various garbage cans from Rubbermaid use plastic that is safe to keep water for topoffs ?

Thank you,
Luke

pogodzib
07/06/2004, 04:22 PM
Yes, many people use large rubbermaid containers for both topoff water and for their sumps. I like to clean the container first and then fill it up with water to soak it for a couple of days. Dump out the water used for soaking, start over with new fresh water and your good to go.

BigShot
07/06/2004, 04:27 PM
But I've noticed that at leas at Home Depot there are various types of plastics used in those cans, from harder black to softer blue etc.
Is there anyway to tell which plastic is safe and which is not ?

Thank you,
Luke

pogodzib
07/06/2004, 04:37 PM
I have seen people use clear, blue, green, and black rubbermaid container with some being soft and others hard plastic with no side effects. One might be a better choice than the other, but I haven't seen it. The main thing that I know of is that the soft plastic flexes more so it does not work as good in a sump without support, but I doesn't look like your going to use it in a sump anyway. I have used the soft green 33 gal rubbermaid trash cans for replacement water with no noticable side effects and a soft blue rubbermaid container for a fuge.

One of my main concerns with the soft plastic is that it will puncture and leak water all over the floor. I'm not nearly as concerned with the hard plastic puncturing.

Randy Holmes-Farley
07/06/2004, 09:04 PM
I have used many of the Rubbermaid Brute cans (grey; 33 and 44 gallons) for many years. 2 as sumps, 1 for fresh water, 1 for limewater, and 1 for new salt water.

I've also read that the Brutes are their best grade for such uses. Bether than Roughnecks, and don't use any with antimicrobial or antimildew agents in them.